What's new
What's new

How to Access X Axis Limit Switches on Mori SL3 Lathe

Dan from Oakland

Titanium
While homing the X axis on our Mori SL3 today we got a Vnot ready servo alarm, but there are no error lights on the servo drives. We can push and hold the override switch and bring the machine up and home both z and X and jog the machine as long as the override switch is held down. Looking at the ladder for the limit switches, we jumpered out the X axis limit switch at the terminal block and the machine operates normally. From that, we are pretty sure we have a stuck overtravel switch to deal with. The wonderful Mori parts book does not show the switches or the cover to remove to access them. We know they are on the headstock side of the turret but. . . . . .

Can someone tell me which sheetmetal needs to be removed to get to the switches?? Looks like the large sheetmetal cover over the turret housing needs to be removed- is there an easier way??? Thanks in advance. Dan

Dan,

They are located behind the turret assy, on the rear X axis rail.
I think from memory you can access them by removing a cover down low, below the cooling line inlet. If you do need to remove the cover over the turret housing i found it easy to unbolt it and the cover above the X axis servo which will drop down giving more clearance.

Thanks Kenre- yup, right where you said they were. Sure enough the switch was stuck closed. Still not sure why we got a servo alarm rather than an overtravel error. Anyway, its fixed now. Dan

.....Sure enough the switch was stuck closed. Still not sure why we got a servo alarm rather than an overtravel error. .....

You did not mention what control you have, but it probably uses software limits. The stuck switch is part of the hard overtravel circuit and kills the power on the control circuit for the axis drives.

Sorry about that Vancbiker- its 3TF control. While I have your attention- the control off button on the OP panel works intermittently. Have not had a chance to track that down, but I'm thinking either stuck relay somewhere or? Your input is always appreciated. We're bringing this thing back from the dead- been in storage for a long time.
We have everything working now, replacing fans etc- at least for the time being. Dan

I don't have any manuals for the 3 series control. Some of the old Fanucs like the 6 and 11 had a device called Input Unit. This is where the power on/off buttons connected. Relay 1 in those would sometimes get arced contacts and render the power off button useless. Don't recall if the 3 series had similar. A look around the cabinet or wiring diagram would clear that up.

Back