What's new
What's new

How can I remount soft jaws without having to rebore?

newcomer

Plastic
As above. Not a problem if the parts were loose tol. Remounting soft jaws always set the centre off by 20-30microns. Are there any methods to remount soft jaws without boring them yet holding under 10microns concentricity?

I don't think you can. You are talking about jaws that located by serrations? Tall order IMHO, you want .0004" runout with removable jaws.

I don't know of a chuck/jaw system that can do that. The chuck I use can't do that even with a re-bore. Collets perhaps?

The point of using soft jaws is to ALWAYS rebore in order to achieve maximum concentricity to spindle C/L. That's the whole point.

Mark them 1, 2 & 3 and put them back in the same place. Note the chuck pressure too. Should be close to last time.

Mark them 1, 2 & 3 and put them back in the same place. Note the chuck pressure too. Should be close to last time.

They also need to go on the same lathe they were bored on. When I do this I can usually get .001-.002 TIR.

I've had good results by:

1. turn the chuck pressure way down.
2. just barely tighten the t-nut screws.
3. chuck a part.
4. tighten the screws you have access too.
5. remove part and tighten all the jaw screws.
6. turn up chuck pressure to normal.

.0004 is pushing it though. Using this method has yielded me .0005 best. But for you it's worth a try.

Of course jaws should be numbered and always used on the matching master.

Everything should be spotless also.

The serrations do a good job locating the jaws radially and axially, but the jaw nuts do all of the side to side locating. Nuts need clearance, and that clearance translates into azimuthal positioning error. It's not much, but to consistently get under 10um, you would need tighter fitting jaw nuts than standard. It doesn't help that on a lathe, positioning error gets doubled when measuring diametric runout.

If you don't have a lot of parts to make and can spend a few extra minutes, chuck the part under low to medium pressure and tap it into position with a brass hammer and test indicator, then set the chuck to working pressure.

The serrations do a good job locating the jaws radially and axially, but the jaw nuts do all of the side to side locating. Nuts need clearance, and that clearance translates into azimuthal positioning error. It's not much, but to consistently get under 10um, you would need tighter fitting jaw nuts than standard. It doesn't help that on a lathe, positioning error gets doubled when measuring diametric runout.

If you don't have a lot of parts to make and can spend a few extra minutes, chuck the part under low to medium pressure and tap it into position with a brass hammer and test indicator, then set the chuck to working pressure.

A bunch of years ago I did a job for a local workholding manufacturer who had a customer with this same problem.

What we ended up doing was, measuring the width of the opening in each master jaw. From there we made numbered T-nuts and soft jaws with .0001-.0002 clearance between the t-nut and it's corresponding master jaw and soft jaw.

The customer was looking for .0005 or better t.i.r. and this worked out well for them.

Of course chuck condition will also affect the op's t.i.r.

It may not be feasible for the op, but doesn't Schunk or some others make chucks that address this issue?

I've had good results by:

1. turn the chuck pressure way down.
2. just barely tighten the t-nut screws.
3. chuck a part.
4. tighten the screws you have access too.
5. remove part and tighten all the jaw screws.
6. turn up chuck pressure to normal.

Interesting...

I can see how that would kinda locate things providing you did this on the initial bore. Good idea I never thought of doing it that way.

Brent

Just bore them, that's why they are called soft jaws. Repeatability to .0004" would be interesting, amazing, unlikely, fantastical, unrealistic or just a waste of time. I can bore jaws in about 2 minutes, I have a jaw boring macro that I input the starting diameter and the depth and the chucking diameter, away I go.

Robert my ±2

Thanks for the input guys. I too was thinking of doing that slighly loosen jaw and truing a ground shaft method before bolting the jaws down. Will try it out.

If you're running parts where you need to hold that close of a tolerance, I wouldn't even take the chance, even if you figured out a way to do it. Boring them is going to be your best bet, so I would actually want to bore them every time.

Go ahead and mount them without reboring... I just got a great paying gig because the last shop that ran the parts was too lazy to rebore the jaws and the faces of the part were out of parallel by over .004". I redid the parts to a tolerance of less than .0002" And their accumulated error dropped way down and they found significant improvement in the process. I've got several months worth of work lined up from this customer now as a result... A little extra effort typically pays dividends in the long term.

Just bore them, that's why they are called soft jaws. Repeatability to .0004" would be interesting, amazing, unlikely, fantastical, unrealistic or just a waste of time. I can bore jaws in about 2 minutes, I have a jaw boring macro that I input the starting diameter and the depth and the chucking diameter, away I go.

Robert my ±2

What do you do if:
You need to clearance the corner for a sharp part?
You need to clamp on more than one diameter?

I am struggling with lathe jaws right now.
Trying to find a strategy that is faster.
And, somehow cheaper. But, I think that may be a lost cause.

You need to clearance the corner for a sharp part?

Undercut the corner, either with and ID grooving tool, or a boring bar with triangle-shaped insert.

You need to clamp on more than one diameter?

At the same time? That's a "machining 101 no-no".

Now if you are flipping a part and re-clamping for op 2, that can be done, with careful design of how you bore your chuck jaws.

I hardly ever do this though, as there's really no -net- time savings versus just running all the parts on op 1, then changing or reboring the jaws, then running all the parts on op 2.

Only advantage to flipping a part and running op 1 and op 2 together is you will have a finished part when done.

ToolCat

Back