Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default How to cut/grind new sub-spindle chuck jaws

I bought new chuck jaws for a 3-jaw chuck in a lathe with a main and sub-spindle. These are hardened chuck jaws for the sub-spindle. After installing them and lining them up for a work piece I noticed that the workpiece was not running true. There is a slight but visible wobble. The workpiece I used happened to be turned down on the main spindle. So, I guess the new jaws need to be trued up in relation to the main spindle? I have seen videos on grinding jaws with tool post grinders etc. but wondering what people typically do on a two spindle machine? Is there some way to put a grinding wheel on (very!) straight shank into the main and grind the jaws in the sub...? Or can they be hard turned with a boring bar?
    -Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The basics, adjust for your needs:

YouTube

YouTube

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by tome9999 View Post
    I bought new chuck jaws for a 3-jaw chuck in a lathe with a main and sub-spindle. These are hardened chuck jaws for the sub-spindle. After installing them and lining them up for a work piece I noticed that the workpiece was not running true. There is a slight but visible wobble. The workpiece I used happened to be turned down on the main spindle. So, I guess the new jaws need to be trued up in relation to the main spindle? I have seen videos on grinding jaws with tool post grinders etc. but wondering what people typically do on a two spindle machine? Is there some way to put a grinding wheel on (very!) straight shank into the main and grind the jaws in the sub...? Or can they be hard turned with a boring bar?
    -Tom
    I have always turned soft jaws for Main and Sub spindle. Some day may buy hard jaws for the Main spindle. Someday. May send back if they wobble. I think hard jaws for the main spindle are for very low volume or
    "one of" parts. If transferring to the sub spindle you are not looking at "one of" parts. Bore the jaws and at some point you will have a library assortment of good jaws.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milland View Post
    The basics, adjust for your needs:

YouTube

YouTube
    I saw these videos but these are for soft jaws. The jaws I have are hardened. So what do I do for these?
    -Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you insist on using hard jaws in the sub, just use a stout boring bar and take a dust cut on the clamping surfaces.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jhearons View Post
    If you insist on using hard jaws in the sub, just use a stout boring bar and take a dust cut on the clamping surfaces.
    Or kluge a die grinder so that it's mounted to the carriage, take light cuts with a good wheel.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milland View Post
    Or kluge a die grinder so that it's mounted to the carriage, take light cuts with a good wheel.
    That made me realize I can put a grinding wheel on an arbor into a live tool holder facing the sub-spindle and grind it that way.
    Thanks,
    -Tom

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jhearons View Post

Like this person said. Just use a carbide or carbide tipped boring bar. Even insert drills make a good boring bar.

People drill out taps all the time using carbide, so why not hard jaws. There is no need for a grinder.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

CBN or ceramic. In a day and age where hard turning has replaced most grinding OPS its not difficult to get the correct tooling.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There normally not that hard ,, low to mid 50`s RC and you can just take a light cut on them ,, I have done it a lot over the years to true them up ,,

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Standard carbide will not last cutting case-hardened chuck jaws.

But in an application like this, where you're just truing up one set of jaws, they don't need to last.

Expect the first edge to be toast roughing out the high spots, and the second edge should make it through the finish cut.

12. Likes litlerob1 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I ended up using a stout boring bar and carbide insert. Worked great and didn’t seem to mind the hardened jaws in the least. Thanks for the suggestions.
    -Tom