What's new
What's new

How do I size a coolant sump?

Garwood

Diamond
Drawing up a new sump to fit a modern conveyor and multistage pump to my old 300mm HMC.

3/4HP pump feeding 4 @ 1/4" ID nozzles.

Pump nameplate says 22 GPM @ 73 ft head

What else factors in?

Do you want it to help with passive temperature control? Make it as large as you can comfortably fit near/under the machine.

Do you have excellent drainage from the machine back to the sump? Want to minimize coolant volume? Make it smaller.

Plans to add additional pumps for constant washdown? Make it bigger.

Design with as many folds, not welds as you can, and ensure that all corner or mating welds are correct, with no pinholes or voids anywhere. Interior baffles not so critical, of course. Minimize corners, if you can have radius bends to make cleanout easier you'll benefit from that.

If you want it on casters, be sure the structure will take the loads once full of coolant.

I'd think 3-4m worth of run time would be a good start.

What's the work envelope and enclosure volume, ie- how much coolant could get hung up in the enclosure?

If I need more than 42 gallons I think I'll have to go to 2 tanks connected with a big hose/tube. Maybe start with 42 and add a second tank if it's not enough.

It has twin augers that bring chips forward and dump out below the pallet changer. Under the pallet changer, it can only be about 14" wide before it would get in the way. I can go 3 feet out the side the chip conveyor will be pointing until I run into the support legs for the conveyor and where the chip tote will go. This HMC has side covers mounted to a frame with casters so I have to roll the sides out of the way to get inside the machine. Can't have the sump there.

I would like to think that 42g would be sufficient for a 300mm machine - as long as your screws are working - as you should not be holding much up inside the machine.

Too much volume and you have more coolant to go bad from sitting.

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Ox raises a point that if you can possibly do so, have the coolant return from the machine at the opposite end of the sump from where the pump is located, so that you do get a uniform circulation of the coolant.

But if this is a machine in fairly high use, I wouldn't think that any "normal" (i.e. not hundreds of gallons) sump size would go bad any faster just because it was on the larger end.

No - I meant that when it goes bad from setting (if this is not a regular runner) then you have 35 gal to pull out and replace, and not 100 gallons.

I have a Maxim 630 with a small tank, and even at that - I only run enough coolant in the tank to make it not pop the "low coolant" alarm.
I prolly don't keep more than 30 gallons in there typically?

On the other hand, my chum picked up a Maxim 500 and that thing has a huge tank on it.
It's gotta be a 100 gallons if it a pint!

He use'ta kinda show that tank off.
But I cannibalized a nearby outgoing Maxim a cpl yrs ago and I scrounged up the [smaller] tank and took over to my chum.
Here yuh go, Merry Christmas!

If it's a 3 shift everyday machine - by all means - go for the big tank.

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I would think there is a formula that takes into account spindle HP.

I've run several Blanchard grinders, 99% of them had the normal, under the table "bathtub"
coolant tank.
One however, was a high production model, under the table was a large pan and chutes out the back, to a waterfall system, a series of pans, and a much larger sump.

Every bit of energy supplied by the spindle winds up in the coolant tank. Each kilowatt of energy is 3450 BTUs, the amount of energy required to raise 1 pound of water 1 degree fahrenheit. How are are you working the spindle and how warm do you want the coolant?

This place is a now a steaming pile of garbage. I suggest going elsewhere. Try these places.

*******.COM
MACHINISTBOARD.COM
HOMESHOPMACHINIST.NET

Saturation bombing your spewage today ?

there's nothing wrong with this thread, move on.

Do they make a machine where the coolant pressure is great without any upgrades? It seems every machine I have run the standard coolant pump is weak.

Back