What's new
What's new

How do I turn parts that don't clear the cross-slide?

SJB001

Plastic
Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

I am relatively new to machining and have a problem to which I hope there's a simple answer. I am trying to turn a part on my lathe (HAAS TL-2). This is a large part (~400mm diameter). It clears the bed no problem, but it doesn't clear the cross-slide (max clearance over cross-slide is ~270mm I think).

I have a Dorian tool-post and my conventional turning tools sit on the left hand side of this, tool holder perpendicular to the Z-axis. The cutting point is more-or-less over the cross-slide so I am unable to turn any part that does not clear this.

I need to turn for a length of ~200mm so I somehow need to use a tool that sticks-out a long way to the left of the cross-slide so as to turn this part without it hitting the cross-slide.

Any thoughts/ideas would be much appreciated!

Thanks

SJB

I had that happen a few times way back when. In some cases you can use a Boring Bar on the OD of parts as a tool. It can only be down on short parts. I just spent 30 minutes looking for an example on You Tube, but couldn't find anything. You can also install Riser Blocks under the head, tail stocks and raise the tool post.

Bolt a big chunk of steel in place of the toolpost. Mill a slot for the toolholder. I have gotten a bunch of these custom reach around toolholders with machines over the years and saved them. Every once in awhile they come in handy.

Hello All,

Thanks for taking the time to reply, really appreciate your advice!

I'm going to to give the left-handed boring bar a try. I might be able to get away without sticking it out the full 200mm because I'm turning a taper on the OD. Once I've roughed down the front a bit I may be able to get the cross-slide under the part for some distance.

Thanks again!

SJB

The bar doesn't need to be LH.
You have M4 on that machine I ass_u_me?

---------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Back