What's new
What's new

How do you call it? WNMG 432 or WNMG 080408 ?

Eventually we will be getting into stick tools and turning inserts. If you are looking for an insert, such as a WNMG with a .032 nose radius. Do you search WNMG432-xxx or WNMG080408-xxx? Both are the same insert, just one is the ISO designation. Wondering if I should put both in the product name.

I always search the ANSI numbers- WNMG432. I can never remember what the ISO number is supposed to be.

I like having both numbers in the description though- it makes it a lot easier to cross check.

Do you search WNMG432-xxx or WNMG080408-xxx?

Yes.

:cool:

Honestly, it depends on whose inserts I am looking for as they are the ones that control how it is referred to. Most of the time, I will plug in the numbers from the box. So, to answer you more directly I use both.

I will recommend that you do, as well. In today's day and age it will suck a little on the front end, but you'll be far and away ahead of the game to do so.

I will look forward to the announcement.

Eventually we will be getting into stick tools and turning inserts. If you are looking for an insert, such as a WNMG with a .032 nose radius. Do you search WNMG432-xxx or WNMG080408-xxx? Both are the same insert, just one is the ISO designation. Wondering if I should put both in the product name.

Out of curiosity, what brand of carbide inserts are you planning on carrying?

Both are needed, as Bob says.

I use the ISO numbers in my little shed because that's what I'm familiar with (that and edge length is more real to me than inscribed circle).

Last edited:
Oh that's going to be killer, I can't wait for this.

I'm accustomed to the inch values (432), but, like others I'd put both if possible. Maybe the ANSI numbers plain and the ISO values in parenthesis - WNMG432 (WNMG080408).

432, I despise metric,....
Will start with I hate ISO numbers. As an insert maker they just do not work and arguments against the standard fell on deaf ears.
Crazy things happened here. Metric vs USA, all kinds of personal or loyalty shit. So we have a mess.

But many do like it and you have to go with making it easy for the paying customer despite any personal preference.
Some buy ISO and a 432 callout makes no sense to them. They have no idea if this will fit or work so they will go elsewhere.
I'm not going to order a box of inserts if not sure it fits or maybe from something I found on the net.
Both numbers assure the customer just what is in the tray and that it will bolt in and do the job.
Yes this is a mess but it's the deal.

To the OP, do everything you can to make it easy peasy for buyers no matter the letters and numbers.
080408 is a standard callout and just as valid as a 432. You want both to show up in a google search.
Bob

But many do like it and you have to go with making it easy for the paying customer despite any personal preference.
Bob

You are absolutely correct and if I was Frank I would list both, but he didn't ask what we would do if we were him, he asked what we/I/users search for. That's what I want, obviously too much info is better than not enough but in my world it wouldn't matter at all if the ISO designation wasn't listed or didn't exist to begin with.

Will start with I hate ISO numbers. As an insert maker they just do not work and arguments against the standard fell on deaf ears.
Crazy things happened here. Metric vs USA, all kinds of personal or loyalty shit. So we have a mess.

Some buy ISO and a 432 callout makes no sense to them. They have no idea if this will fit or work so they will go elsewhere.
I'm not going to order a box of inserts if not sure it fits or maybe from something I found on the net.
Both numbers assure the customer just what is in the tray and that it will bolt in and do the job.
Yes this is a mess but it's the deal.

To the OP, do everything you can to make it easy peasy for buyers no matter the letters and numbers.
080408 is a standard callout and just as valid as a 432. You want both to show up in a google search.
Bob

ISO is how everyone refers to them over here. ANSI numbers are usually printed on the box somewhere for reference, but nobody uses them, including the manufacturers themselves.

I will agree with you that the ISO system is extremely poorly implemented. The basic dimensions of the inserts are imperial anyway, so the numbers are mostly nonsense. Taking Franks example, WNMG 080408, the 08 and the 04 are very vaguely approximated dimensions. The thickness in particular is just a mess, with added cases like T3 when it just doesn't convert to metric remotely closely. To confound the issue, the nose radius will occasionally actually be the metric size stated rather than the rounded off imperial size. If you're doing something where the precision of the nose radius is critical then you need to check with the manufacturer if you don't have the means to measure it yourself.

One positive side effect of the push towards fully proprietary insert systems is that manufacturers get to abandon the shitty standard nomenclature in the process, and publish ISO13399 specifications for their inserts and tools instead.

Back