What's new
What's new

How do you decide a fair price for a "part machine"?

Wade C

Stainless
My oldest Okuma lathe (1980) has reached the end of its affordable life for me... Spindle bearing time - and based on the estimates Ive heard to do fix (6-10k), its just not worth it. Pretty sure I dont have the skills to do it myself even if I thought I wanted to spend the big chunk on the parts. She's also getting a little on the sloppy side in terms of holding size - so guessing the 39 years of life have gotten to her.

Now I need to do something with the ol gal... Trying to figure out what to ask for as a "parts machine" - knowing that electronically its just fine, its mechanical stuff that needs attention - and its all pretty spendy stuff. I occasionally see some things for an LC10 listed on the auction site, and it either strikes me as crazy expensive or absurdly cheap. But I guess it sort of comes down to whether its something that is more common to fail or something that never needs replaced.

So far, the only suggestion I have heard is 250-500 bucks for it... but that seems a bit like a low number considering the cost of the drives in the cabinet. But Its also really old. So maybe its not so far off? Course figure in the cost of getting it loaded and it quickly becomes more expensive "bucket of parts"

Any suggestions on the kind of things should I consider when deciding on a fair price to ask for it?

Im not under any huge time crunch to get it out of here, so have some time to think and decide. But maybe Im just wasting my time even worrying about it and should just send er off to the scrapper? I dunno.

Wade

I have seen a lot of old machines go at local auctions and your going to be doing good to get someone to take it for free from what I have seen. you need to look at it from the "OTHER" guys view ,,, first off if the guy is running a machine that old and looking for parts for it he vary likely is kinda on the cheap side and not wanting to dump a lot of money in it ... also if he just needs a part or two just moving it is going to be a big undertaking for a few parts ... I have had a LOT of machines offered to me for free and the only ones I well even think about are machines with FANUC controls ,,, I have made a lot of $$ over the years pulling Fanuc controls and selling them off ,,, but the machines go right to the scrap yard.

Maximum value is probably going to be pulling everything of value and selling separately, drives, screen, all that stuff and just send the iron off. Although if the machine is fully functional and makes parts, you can probably still sell it for something. Usually the ones for sale that I see that sit are dead for one reason or another and have alarms and people are still trying to sell them and I'm sure just end up having to give them away for scrap at some point. A running machine would probably be worth something, even if it's not to you.

At most shops I have worked, they have a crappy lathe for running... well crap. stuff that isn't tight tolerance, a machine noone cares if the new guy crashes learning the ropes, that sort of deal....

Alternatively... find someone young that went out on their own and give them a deal. Ie... give them the machine, sell them a few tools to go with it, and send them on their way.

The first VMC I bought for my shop was a POS that I was probably the 3rd or 4th owner of. It was good... as long as you didn't ask too much. That got me to the point I could justify buying a new Brother. I gave the machine away. The taker had to pay rigging to get it out. The only thing I sold was the pile of CAT 40 for it. The guy that took the machine paid me $1500 for about 40 holders.

I considered parting out the machine, but by the time I pulled, listed, and sold everything, I figured I would have more time involved than the money I would make... then I had to deal with the carcass, prepare it to drop at the yard, and haul it in.

Giving it away seemed the cheaper alternative to me.

Back