What's new
What's new

97 haas vf-2 power up problem/question

chip_maker

Stainless
Moving my shop and getting machines powered up at new shop. Having a problem with my 97 vf-2.

Powered it up and I got a dead crt. Machine will go through the power up re start routine and I can jog the axes and change tools using the atc f/r buttons.

Now when I initially powered it up I heard a little snap crackle pop and caught a whiff of the magic smoke :ack2:.

The machine will not run a program or make any commands in mdi work. I'm doing all this in the dark, but I know my way around the control even when I'm "blind".

On these older haas's how can you tell if it's properly phased? the newer ones have an led that'll let you know if you need to swap 2 wires.

Any idea what the problem is before I make a service call?

Turn coolant on and make sure pump turns in correct direction.

CRT's are usually an easy fix, I keep a spare for just that reason.
But as you said...I can usually work around in the dark.
Interesting what you can do in the dark if you just let your fingers do the work...at least for me, once I think about it...I'm done.

To your subject at hand...if your not getting the machine to run a program that is not just a CRT issue...but you know that.

Where did the smoke come from? I have had a light bulb pop and fried an amp...or the amp went and took the bulb...in either case I was running, bulb popped, machine shut down. I was able to bring up the control again, but that was it...HFO had me looking around in cabinet and found soot on the amp.

What I like most about Haas by me...I can call them and they will take the time to walk me around a bunch of checks and ballpark a fix. Sometimes I can get her going myself...other times its a service call...but at least they know what parts to bring...aside from the normally stocked van. And a ballpark price.

Well I fixed it!

This is kinda weird.

I pulled the back cover off of the control panel to look at the CRT.

Welllllllll the screws on the male end of the connector wouldn't reach the threaded holes on the female connector so they was just plugged together and musta vibrated apart on the ride up.

I plugged (and taped) them back together and viola!! everything works!!

Now I don't know what snap crackle pop and magic smoke smell were all about, but everything appears to be working [emoji3].

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Back