What's new
What's new

How do you get rid of old machines?

wrustle

Titanium
I have a Mori-Seiki SL1 that has been collecting dust and taking up room in my shop now for over a year due to the spindle drive crapping the bed one day and with a replacement cost for a rebuilt drive hovering around $4,000.00 I know for sure now it ain't gonna happen!

The machine is in good shape for its age and it made great parts, but I just can't justify the cost of the repair......so how the hell do I get rid of this anchor?

Part it out on ebay.....or Craigslist? I have about 10 tool holders, a collet chuck, and a six inch chuck. But not even sure which other components are salvageable or if I would just end up screwing them up removing them from the machine.

I really could use the floor space since we are going to be getting a new lathe in the very near future......hopefully that is.

I know some junk yards that will take it, but of course I have to get it there somehow, and spending $800-$1,200 for a rigger to come in and haul it out is not very appealing either.

In any event.....what the heck would you do, if it was on your floor?

Best Regards,
Russ

Last edited:
Old CNC machine.

Hi Russ: Sorry to hear you have to get rid of the machine that got you started.
Check around you for a dealer that has a repair department and sells used CNC.
If they are any good, they should be happy to take it off your hands.
We have a dealer here in Columbus that fixes machines, then re-sells them, they are called Industrial Machinery, but I am afraid they are too far from you.
Good luck: Heinz.

Hey Russ,

You may only get $1 for it, but someone on Ebay who has a similar Mori might take it, for parts and such. The buyers main cost would be shipping and rigging, of course. Give it a try on the Ebay, $1 starting bid, no reserve, lots of good pictures, buyer pays to rig it out of your shop, and for freight to their shop.

Sometimes a scrap yard will come get it, and might just give you a few hundred dollars for the iron. If you can get the Mori where a rollback could winch her up the inclined bed, that would be the cheapest way to get it out.

I've got an old Leblond Makino cnc lathe with a bad Fanuc motherboard I'd love to get out of the shop. Guess I'll have to get around to giving Ebay a try...

Good luck,

Greg

I've yet to experience this dilemma yet, but if the lathe is fine other than that spindle drive, wouldn't a machine that makes good parts be worth the fix? It seems to me that machine would make up the $4000 bucks real quick. What am I missing here?

I've yet to experience this dilemma yet, but if the lathe is fine other than that spindle drive, wouldn't a machine that makes good parts be worth the fix? It seems to me that machine would make up the $4000 bucks real quick. What am I missing here?

for sure! fixed that one could/would be one of the nicest in our shop :)

Dave the machine is a 1978 Mori with a Yasnac 2000B control. No cutter comp, single line readout......and again....it's a 1978 machine. $4,000.00 today could very well be another $2,000.00 tomorrow for some other board that might buy the farm. For $4,000.00 I could get a lot more machine (and easier control) just by buying a newer used machine.

Yes, it would make up that money pretty quickly, but it's a crap shoot.

Later,
Russ

I too thought that the 4 bills to fix it would still be werth it, untill you said 1978... :nutter:

I load up to 10K with my equipment, and then either rent a forktruck or a crane to load the rest. Slap it on the gooseneck and take to the scrap yard.

However - how I doo it really aint gunna werk fer you...

Hint - Breakable Machgine Cast is likely werth $300-$400 a gross ton. I'm thinkin - strip the goodies that are sellable and find a way to git the rest to scrap. To git the best price at the yard you don't dare just show up with your load. They don't hafta give you top $ at that point - and they know it!

Also - you would need to find a yard that breaks their own cast on site to git best price.

Or - EBAY the whole thing for parts if it looks like the rigging will be as much as the value. Maybe then someone else can git some use of it? But then aggin - how many '78 Moris are in the States enyhow?

With your $ I wouldn't spend too much time decidin' either way. ;)

-------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Dave the machine is a 1978 Mori with a Yasnac 2000B control. No cutter comp, single line readout......and again....it's a 1978 machine. $4,000.00 today could very well be another $2,000.00 tomorrow for some other board that might buy the farm. For $4,000.00 I could get a lot more machine (and easier control) just by buying a newer used machine.

Yes, it would make up that money pretty quickly, but it's a crap shoot.

Later,
Russ

1978? Didn't realize it was THAT old. I was still in high school then. I guess you're right then, time to throw it in the scrap bin. The machine, that is, not me.

I know someone who is in exactly the same pair of shoes. An old dead SL1 mori that he's willing to sell for scrap rather than have to move it to his new shop.

Russ, I know centroid is a 4 letter word for some around here, but check this out:

http://www.centroidcnc.com/moriseiki.htm

Russ,
if it`s a dc spindle drive,look on Ebay for a Eurotherm 590 or a Control Techniques Mentor drive.Should get one for under $1000 and it`s an easy retrofit if you can read an electrical drawing.If you`re not sure of the ratings for these post your motor details and the part number of any drive you find and one of us will advise on suitability.I have a few sitting on the shelf and have fitted a few as well.None of them cost more than $500 of Ebay.
Mark.

If you really want to get rid of it post pictures I know some people who would pay good money for an old machine, even if it's not very good.

We just went through the same thing. Had a 1984 MV-55 mill that needed tool mag repair. They decided it wasn't worth fixing, so the electronics/electrical were stripped and the machine was picked up by our scrap metal guys.

Not to hijack thread, but i certainly have to make a post as this question is what i might make business with in the future.

I think i have fount what would be my dream career, start a business which buys old industrial machines (machine tools, robotics, production lines etc etc...), dismantles them, stores/sells useful parts for cheap, and sorts out all the recycleable metal.

Unfortunately, it is much harder to find information about this business and it's practices compared to metalworking. I've been trying to do calculations if i could be able to do this for living. I fount some ballpark scrap prices easily on the internet, but i have no idea what is the usual practique with the shop owners. Who pays and how much for each other? The scrapper will have to pay for his/her truck, processing plant etc. On the other hand, shop owner would have to pay for (dismantling the machine if big), moving it outside, and taken away to be responsively recycled, not just thrown away.

I did some calculations, and thought it would be possible to pay around 75eur/metric ton of machinery (equiv to 48-50$/1000lbs) including hauling the machine for under 100km (63 miles). This would be for mainly cast iron machines (machine tools), light production equipment like robot cells made out of mainly aluminum profiling, would be more.

I'd love to hear some more opinions from shop owners, is it a common problem to get rid of machines, or are they already taken when you even think about it? how much would you/machine scrapper pay to get old machine removed from your shop floor?

Hmmmm.....wonder if his spindle drive is any good? Any leads on that?

Later,
Russ

He's in Bonneville this week trying to break his own 125cc land speed record on 2 wheels. I will talk to him when he gets back. If I remember the problem with the machine was the X axis so there may be something there. I'll let you know.

Seems like Death Valley in Jan would be a bit more appropriate for a 125cc bike eh?

---------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Back