What's new
What's new

How do you get tool number and pot number to be the same on Fanuc control

Petergun

Aluminum
I have a Sharp sv2412 and I have gotten the tool numbers and pot numbers screwed up. How can I set the control so that Tool 1 goes to pot 1, tool 2 to pot2 and so on?

I have a Sharp sv2412 and I have gotten the tool numbers and pot numbers screwed up. How can I set the control so that Tool 1 goes to pot 1, tool 2 to pot2 and so on?

How the pot numbers and tool numbers correspond is determined totally by the machine builder, not Fanuc. If your toolchanger is a random pot style, they'll never stay related anyway. As Heavey said, don't worry about it as long as when you call tool 1 you get tool 1 and so on.

I wish it was that simple. it does not change tools, thinks that pot already has a tool in it.
I had the same problem with my 2412.
If it thinks it has tool in the pot but its empty.
Under the umbrella there it a sensor its probably got a chip on it, wipe it off. If that doesn't fix it there is a screw on the side of the sensor that adjusts the sensitivity turn it down .

I wish it was that simple. it does not change tools, thinks that pot already has a tool in it.

If that is the case the machine probably got screwed up somewhere. I don't know how your machine works (continue at your own risk :D).

On the Haas machines there is a table that shows what tool is in what pot. It is also the same place where you mark an oversize or heavy tool. Do you have anything like that? You might be able to solve it in there if available. I would recommend just emptying all the tools from machine and clearing the H offsets and starting over. A little time consuming, but if you are not familiar with a random style changer it is much safer.

Thanks for the advise every one. There is a chart as mentioned above found in the system,G data, D0000 thru D0009,enter tool numbers there. Running fine now.

The diagnostics parameters, at least on my OM, start at No. 440. Before you start changing things, do a T0M6 to get T0 in spindle. Manually cycle the tool change carousel around to bring T1 pot to the ready position. Now go to diagnostics, press No.440 then "input". This takes you to the screen where all the tools are at. No 440 represents the tool in the spindle. Diagnostic 441 is tool in pot 1, Diag. 442 is tool in pot 2 and so on. Go back to parameters, go to page 2 where the write enable is at and change the zero to 1. Your mode switch will have to be in MDI to do this. An alarm will be set but just ignore it. It's only warning you that you are now capable of changing parameters, and if careless, warning you that you can totally screw things up. And I don't mean maybe. Go back to your diagnostics No 440 and change them to match their numeric sequence. When you're all done, go back to write enable and change it back to 0. Then Reset. That's it. Like the one responder said, for the most part don't worry about it as the machine is keeping track, but I occasionally use this to my advantage. I have a number of jobs that use every damn tool pot I have and wish I had a couple more. (22 tools) Some of my programming manages to have the tool sequence match the machining order. That's the dream but not always a reality. When that's not the case, what I'll do is make a list of the tool order and load the tools manually into the carousel in that order. Then I'll set the diagnostics to match. You really have to pay attention when setting tool length offsets that you're setting for the correct tool and not the pot, but with a little practice it's completely manageable. This may not mean much to many, but when the machinery you run is bought and paid for out of your own pocket, and your pocket is also responsible for paying for replacement parts and service, you do small things to save on the wear and tear of your machinery. So I'll run a production program using 23 tools, and the carousel will only make a single revolution during the entire run. Tool call one click. Tool call one click. Try to tell me there's something wrong with that. Not that it means much, but you can also glance at your carousel and see where tool 1 is at, and it will tell you how many runs you've done, as the tool advances one pot per run. If you're running a giant horizontal with 120 tools, this whole idea would not come into play, but for the average mainstream 20-30 tool machine, I say why not when it makes sense. Note: Not 100% sure these numbers are Fanuc controlled or builder controlled, but I bet any OM control has a batch of numbers somewhere that responds the same way mine do. If you go to Diagnostics 440 to say 462, and they don't all look like some 2 or 4 digit tool number, than you're probably not in the right place, but dig around and you may find where you need to be. Be cautious with parameters always! Another two cents spent at PM. Hope it helps someone.

........Note: Not 100% sure these numbers are Fanuc controlled or builder controlled,

The Diagnostic parameters functions and ranges are determined by the machine builder, not Fanuc. On the older O series controls they start at 400. They can be used as Counters, Timer values, Data values, or Keep Relays.

........but I bet any OM control has a batch of numbers somewhere that responds the same way mine do.

If the Fanuc O series controlled machine does not have a toolchanger, it will not have a tool to pot correspondence table. :D

........Be cautious with parameters always!

Solid advice. When I was doing field service, I made lots of money off guys that got into their parameters to "fix" something and ended up with a machine that truly needed fixing.

Last edited:

Back