What's new
What's new

How do you guys stack parts and avoid scratching?

eimim

Aluminum
How do you guys stack parts and avoid scratching? These will be a few different materials - polycarbonate, brass, copper, stainless, titanium and a couple others. Some are easier to scratch than others, so some solution that will take care of the soft ones. They are lathe parts that have some contour so they won't stack against one another well.

I've seen people use egg crates, but I have some parts that are going to be a bit too long for that - about 3" long by 9/16". I've seen foam with ribs in it, but I can't find a source for that kind of material.

There are going to be thousands of these parts, so something economical would be great. I did some searching and didn't see this come up but I bet some of you have some innovative solutions or sources for foam with ribs in it like mentioned above.

First thing that comes to mind for me is the plastic tubes endmills come in. These can also be bought through ULINE. Maybe a bit more than you're willing to spend but would ensure no parts clang or rub.

we buy clear plastic tubes about 4 feet long or so. cut them to desired sizes and use rubber caps. we also use the plastic nets that was mentioned already.

I would look at vacuum-formed plastic shipping trays for parts that size and shape. You can probably get away with a stock item, but if you want lots of places will do custom form-fitting trays.

One option is a pelican case. Layer of hand-cut foam with nested parts - thin layer solid foam - layer of parts - layer solid foam, etc etc.

If the customer is semi-local, I'd pick up empty pelicans when you drop off full ones. Or see if they can arrange for returning the cases somehow. Cheaper than Pelicans are Melmat 'spacecases', and they'll custom make them to whatever size you want. Less "bomb proof" than a pelican but still semi-overkill for shipping. We do that for things that're FOD-critical and rather valuable.

Otherwise, the plastic sleeve netting is the shit.

We do a fair amount of aerospace work. EVERYTHING must be packed with no metal to metal contact.

We simply get 2ml thick plastic bags from Uline, drop in the part, fold over the top, and use a bench top electric stapler to seal the deal. Then bulk pack in a large zip-loc type bag in a box to ship.

Sounds like a lot of work but it really only takes a few seconds a piece.

20141108_105808_zps9ijig4qu.jpg

Later,
Russ

I like the vacuforming idea. Easy to make the machine, used to have one when making models back in the day.

I've used plastic tubing that can be sealed each end then shrunk tight with a heat gun.

They have automated conveyers that run the parts under a heat source fot longer runs.

Plastic Sleeve Net in Stock - ULINE

We mostly use it for shipping..sometime to protect finish between ops

I've always liked this stuff, I'm always impressed when parts come in with this stuff on them... I've never bought it,
I just never throw it away when it comes in on something.

The price really isn't that bad, 1500feet of 3/8-5/8 is $150, 10 cents a foot, Three and one third cents per part if you cut
it long.

Are you talking about protecting them for shipping, or just when they're being moved around in the shop? For in the shop, or going out for processing and the like, the easiest and most effective way we've found are just cardboard box dividers.

I've been meaning to make a similar post, except for bigger parts. I'm running some ~7" diameter x 8" long steel parts that don't stack too well. Cardboard sheets are the best solution I've come up with to separate layers but they still knock into each other. I like the plastic netting sleeves; this might be good additional protection.

How do you guys stack parts and avoid scratching? These will be a few different materials - polycarbonate, brass, copper, stainless, titanium and a couple others. Some are easier to scratch than others, so some solution that will take care of the soft ones. They are lathe parts that have some contour so they won't stack against one another well.

I've seen people use egg crates, but I have some parts that are going to be a bit too long for that - about 3" long by 9/16". I've seen foam with ribs in it, but I can't find a source for that kind of material.

There are going to be thousands of these parts, so something economical would be great. I did some searching and didn't see this come up but I bet some of you have some innovative solutions or sources for foam with ribs in it like mentioned above.

My question is do you want returnable or expendable? Obviously returnable if volume is sufficient and someone can cover the additional freight is a long term preference, of mine anyway. You will wind up doing a calculation to determine if up front cost of returnable are justifiable or not... Dunnage/dividers can be made from expanded plastic sheeting as you mention or other products. Sometimes to minimize return freight expendable dunnage is used so the container can "knock-down" flat minimizing return volume, those are usually cardboard with layer pads. Also depends on weight of product vs. stack height etc. Packaging can be an engineering science unto it's own at times...

I've used guys like this in the past for example and there are many others:
Returnable Packaging Resource ? RPR
Returnable Packaging Resources etc..

Simple solutions

How do you guys stack parts and avoid scratching? These will be a few different materials - polycarbonate, brass, copper, stainless, titanium and a couple others.
Bubble wrap. It comes on huge rolls and is cheap.
Crumpled-up old newspaper - from your local newsagent.
Thin sheet foam and adhesive tape.

More generally, find a local shop which does packaging per se, and ask them for suggestions. They will have many options.

Cheers
Roger

We have square "pads" that are made to fit our boxes. This will separate tiers, which many times is plenty, but on shafts - maybe, maybe not.

I ran a bunch of shafts that were in the 1.5" OD x 5" long area. Some bigger and some smaller.
I needed to ship them 2/3 the way accrost the country. So, in a pinch I wrapped them with blue paper hand towel stuff. Werked Great!

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Back