What's new
What's new

How does this come apart??

tobydbaker74

Aluminum
The guy I hot this machine from evidently crashed this lathe on a regular basis. Pulling the turret off was not bad but now I cant figure out how to get to the pins in the curvic coupler. The only way I see is to pull the entire shaft out as one unit with the coupling as a assembly. Does anyone know how this comes apart. Here are the pics of what I have. I think the part I'm pointing at is bolted to the coupler on the back side.
1f8e6eb3bc3030ccfde7343a546659e0.jpg
baa494642e11125972dcdf017b209ff2.jpg
6da159d86767826e1a0d0ba2a09186c6.jpg
cc63f15d6e7cb54067e5c1af92b2cef7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Upload the 2 pictures from the other thread to this one. Surely couldn't hurt for folks to see the other side of that?

Brent

Great photos BTW.

What lathe/turning center is it ?

There may be a "trick" to that, but kinda looks like you have to take the whole damn thing apart. (but don't do that until some other "Peeps" have chimed in.).

The first bigger shaft/hub (23) is held on by shaft collar/threaded nut/shaft nut (35)…

And the smaller shaft with the key (45) and (46) that presumably goes inside the bigger shaft [can't see from the diagram as that would be on the left side of the picture that is clipped.]. AND that smaller shaft (guessing 66 ??? can't see ) is held on by shaft collar/threaded nut/shaft nut (53) + a bushing and a further coupling.

Is there a PDF of this manual ?

Is there more of the diagram on the left side of your picture you could show ?

(although that may be the bottom edge of your manual).

Ta.

Last edited:
It's a 1985 Daewoo Puma 6HS That is the only picture in the manual. There is one other turret pictured but it's for a totally different turret maybe a 8 station or something smaller than what I have.

looks like it is bolted from the rear with bolts 42 or 25. Need to remove the entire shaft via spanner nut removal. It looks like.

Good luck

Dave

When you say "get to the pins in the curvic coupler", are they broken off in the holes? If so, you should be able to drill them out. If you are unsure of your hand drilling proficiency, make a short drill bushing to put on the end of the PIN to ensure you drill on center. Then tap and remove with a pull bolt.

When you say "get to the pins in the curvic coupler", are they broken off in the holes? If so, you should be able to drill them out. If you are unsure of your hand drilling proficiency, make a short drill bushing to put on the end of the PIN to ensure you drill on center. Then tap and remove with a pull bolt.
They are not broken but I'm sure like every other pin I have gotten to so far is pretty tweaked and bent.

Today finally pulled it all apart. It came out from the back as I thought. Should be well worth it in the end. All the orings had become distorted. The piston oring was pretty flat on one side leaking and not allowing the coupler to fully engage and lock tight together.
1dcc4522febfd519335ea0e295df08a3.jpg
39d3f0776e099f01c6a4b81713cb6c9d.jpg
3cfaa339f1abe77e928d55b786b8d158.jpg

Finally got this all back together. I think there was not one locating pin not bent. Now Z and Y are perfect but the X is off on several tool locations which I can fix in the offsets. Several are .438 off off and a couple .453 I plan to just adjust in the offset unless there is a better way to fix this??
d21edcb8c2bd92b0fb2629670649f0ea.jpg

Back