What's new
What's new

How on earth do you open the back cabinet on a Hardinge GT27??

aarongough

Stainless
Hey guys,
Dumb question I know, but I cannot work this out. I have released the panel latches top and bottom on the rear cabinet door, but the main power switch has a connection going back into the cabinet which still prevents it from opening... I'm sure there's a simple trick to it but I haven't yet worked it out!

rPSniFll.jpg

All help appreciated so I can start getting this machine all cleaned up!

Thanks,
Aaron

There should be a Phillips or flat bit screwdriver hole in the breaker handle. Turn it with a screwdriver and the door should open. This is a safety device to keep you from opening the panel when the breaker is turned on.

You should not need the screwdriver if the breaker is turned off though.

Interesting! I'm sure I tried it with the breaker turned off (power is not connected to the machine right now anyway) but I will double check when I'm in the shop tomorrow, perhaps I was just having a 'slow day' when I last tried! :D

Thanks mate!

I have a late model Pacemaker lathe like that. Took me a minute to figure it out. The screw is easy to find, but it isn't labeled that you have to turn it to open the door.

There may be a problem with the enterlock if the breaker was in the off position. Some may require that the handle be moved to the reset position for it to be disabled.

Tom

There may be a problem with the enterlock if the breaker was in the off position. Some may require that the handle be moved to the reset position for it to be disabled.

Tom

Yup, and when all else fails "jiggle it" whilst pulling on door.

On my OKK you have to turn the power disconnect counter clockwise to the reset position to open the doors. This is a momentary spring loaded position. As others have mentioned above.

I've got one machine like that: Turn power off and turn a little more and latch inside trips and door can be open. There is a small hole in the switch mount that I can stick a small screwdriver in to open the door when power is on.

make sure the 1/4 turn latches are actually released, just pull on the corner and compare one position to the other. These latches can become inoperable.

The factory main disconnect on the GT is different than jap machiness. The mechanical door interlock override is a slider that you pull down on with a flat blade screwdriver. In a clockwise fashion for about 30~45 degrees. It is easy to overlook, not a hole.

The control cabinet can only be opened if you first open the main electrical cabinet. There is a tab on the door.

Back