What's new
What's new

how fast is an edm hole?

memphisjed

Titanium
Yesterday I was asked about "how could you" drill a 1/16 hole thru 2 1/2 inches of steel [astm36]. Accuracy on diameter is +- alot, alignment top and bottom is say 1/32". Of course you can drill both sides and then run a bigger drill thru the hole (surface finish does matter a little) to ream it out.
But I was wandering if a edm drill could do it in one shot, and how long would it take?

I have done a 1/32 hole 1” deep so I don’t see why you couldn’t do this. Pecks were only 10 thou but it got done. Edm I would think would be slower…

1.5mm electrode, steel .. somewhere in the 'hood of .6-.7" per minute.
Hole will be straight, but it will have a bit of taper on the end, and a slight overburn at the beginning.

Stainless would be quicker, perhaps 1 - 1.2" per minute even.

To take a stab at time, in best conditions 4 minutes, bad conditions 8 minutes on our Sodick CNC EDM hole driller. However you couldn’t ream the hole after as the surface will be hardened, if you needed a better finish.

Not as in through hardened the area around the hole, but it will leave a hardened skin, the coarser the finish, the harder the surface.

I’m sure it’ll ream if you take a decent cut under the skin.

Not as in through hardened the area around the hole, but it will leave a hardened skin, the coarser the finish, the harder the surface.

I’m sure it’ll ream if you take a decent cut under the skin.

There is recast layer, and there is HAZ ( Heat Affected Zone )
The recast layer is easily removed no matter how hard it is, simply because it is - for all intents and purposes - little solidified pebbles that got re-deposited on the surface of the hole.
They have absolutely no strength to hold onto that surface, so it's easily removed.
The HAZ is a different thing altogether, It isn't hard, nor is it thick. It is simply a layer that may or may not have surface cracks. Other than that is is easy to remove.

In fact, the biggest BITCH of a material to ream out after EDM drilling is Aluminum!
And that is because the recast layer is thick as shit, and it is CERAMIC!!!

Reaming out a small amount of A36 after holepopping is a breeze.
So is A2, D2, CPM10V or any other tool steels or stainless steels.

Back