What's new
What's new

How fast are you feeding your Renishaw part probe?

Thomas Paine

Hot Rolled
just got a new Renishaw Go-Probe.
Default feedrate is 1500mm/min (59"/min).

Manual says:
The fast feedrate of the cycles can be adjusted by this variable to suit the machine characteristics and should be optimised. Duh.

Renishaw says:
you can only go as fast as your machine can stop. :o

What is the procedure, just creep up until you crash the probe?
Just wondering what everyone else is doing as far as feedrates. Thx.

yeah, on mine it's O9724:

(EDIT*VARIABLE*#111+9*TO*CHANGE*FAST*FEED)
#[#111+9]=1500.

I haven't found the variable for measurement feedrate yet, but it's something like 37IPM right now.

What's your mill? I have never delved into the measurement feedrate but the second touch speed is quite slow. We have probing on a Haas VF-6SS and although I have been told by our support guy that both Haas and Renishaw say it can be run in safe moves at 250 IPM, I just don't trust the machine to stop that quick without breaking the stylus. Maybe a VF-2 could.

Edit: I see you're talking about the WIPS macros, not the Inspection Plus routines. I haven't changed any of those and I don't use them for part inspection or subsequent offsets, I just write them in myself for program add-ins. The 9024 routines are set up in ways I don't like.

Go ahead, try 1200 ipm. :)
Learn a few things. One has to push the edge way up there to find the oh-poops.
Catalog data is nice, somebody out there competing on price may be pushing it much farther.
Bob

I've done a fair bit of testing here and am not going to give up my actual numbers (they really only apply to my machine in my circumstances anyway), but I will say that you can get away with a LOT higher feedrate when probing for centers (center of bore, center of block, etc.) than you can when probing for a single surface in any direction.

In your program O9724 there is a line that says: - #119=200(FAST*FEED*INCH) - this your feed rate. This is what it uses for measurement and rapid feed rate. If G20 is active, for standard.
Or it will read "#119=5000(FAST*FEED*MM)" if G21 is active for metric measurements.
Then probe programs likes 9722 take this federate and turn it around to read this "G31Z#26F[#119*.6]" which is a probing move in "Z". I adjust this number until I can get the probe to repeat a measurement consistently.

Back