What's new
What's new

How to make gear change? Mori Seiki SL-3 Yasnac

gcriniti

Plastic
Does anybody know how to program a gear change on a Mori Seiki lathe (SL-3) with a Yasnac control? What are the appropriate speeds for each of the 2 gear choices? The Yasnac manual doesn't say, only refer to machine tool builder.

Mori has historically used M41-M44 for gear range selection. For a small machine with 2 speed gearbox, use M41 and M42.

Some older Mori's have a speed meter and a load meter. If yours has the speed meter there will be divisions for low gear and high gear that you can use to figure out what is appropriate for each range.

BTW the choice of gear range codes is determined by the machine builder, not the control builder. There is no standard though many use the M41-M44 codes.

My SL3 (Fanuc 10T) uses M41 for low range (up to 1300 rpm) and M42 for high (up to 4000 rpm). Big diameter or punching holes with big insert drill: M41. Everyday turning I use M42, machine puts off less noise in M42 as well.

Thanks for the responses! M41 and M42 work perfectly. I've had the machine for three years now and did not know how to change the gears. Never needed to. My work has always been larger diameter stuff. It's nice to have that higher speed for small diameter work. I'm doing a job now with 1/2 inch rod.

Is it possible that a machine may have a single gear?

The Mori SL3 came in 2 types, a "regular" version and high RPM version sometimes labeled an SL3-H. Both were 2 speed gearhead designs. The -H version had a smaller spindle, bearings and through-hole than the regular version.

Back