What's new
What's new

how many hurco users are out there!!!

tooler

Plastic
Just like to know, I plan on getting a 1983 kmb1
if feb. are there any does and not to does you might like to share. also not sure on the progam
style. been a tool-maker for a while and currently use Bp with accurite millpwr 3axis cnc
I am thinking its like that. also if anyone has one in a garage with 8 ft walls and a 7 ft door opening is it going to be tuff. one more thing if there are enough old/new hurco owners out there I was planning on getting a web site together with all the info and shareware on it.
THANKS..

Hurco BMC-40. Ultimax III control. Used mostly for 3 axis contouring of aluminum molds. Nice, heavy duty machine. Not garage sized, but enjoyable to run. Especially after (with help from this board) I managed to unzip ungodly large files onto the hard drive and run them successfully.

t2r

Here is one more Hurco user. I own a BMC30 and KM5P, both '91 with Max2 controls, and i`m happy with both of them.
Your idea to set-up an info site for older Hurco`s, sounds excellent. I`ll be glad to contribute with the little I know about them.

geckos got for 130 an axis
mach III is like 150
power supply about 150
optical breakout board about 150
encoders (500cpi) and leads - 265

not all in, hardparts are about 1175, or so.

add wiring, PC, and stuff, you'll hit 1500 pretty easy.

BUT it totaly replaces the control for about the price if a board or 2, and, with quad, i get 2000 cpi or .0001" on a 5tpi ball scerw

jeffe

198x vintage KMB-1 that I resurrected from the D-E-A-D. Mechanically sound, but the machine had a non-functioning control. All of this was finally attributed to a cold solder joint on a chip on the Servo Control Board.

Machine has now been modified to run single phase and I put a modern VFD in it (dumped the faulty Parajust).

Machine may, :( , end up being surplus. I am a Deckel fanatic and I recently purchased a Deckel FP3NC.

hurco KM1 /geckos/machIII here
I just picked up my first cnc machine - a Hurco KM1. It has a cmcsystems tape drive eliminator kit in it and the upgraded 64KB memory board with 10 year lithium battery. Unfortunately is it a B based control and not a Bx. :(

It was under power when I went to look at it and worked flawlessly. I'm borrowing a forklift from a friend tomorrow so I can put it in it's new permanent home. Hopefully everything still works after I hook the control back up to it!

I'll be running it off my 10hp rotary phase converter. Hopefully I won't have any power issues.

I'm sure I'll be visiting often and asking a lot of questions since I'm a total newb.

Michael

I am doing a control retrofit on a 1988 KM3. It is now clean, rewired for single-phase, has working autolube and air systems, and three working servo amps, motors and encoders (1000-line).

It is great fun to drive around with a test pendant I made. Basically, it's a 3800-pound etch-a-sketch. :D

I plan to run EMC2 using a Mesa 5I20 PCI card and their 4-axis servo interface and I/O cards.

Chris

1986 SMB-1. All original with the BX control and tape drive, but getting ready to convert it to mach and geckos to get is on the same page as the rest of the equipment. If you are doing a conversion, these machines are already equipped with encoders that will work with geckos, you just need to use an external 5v power supply (135mA required vs 50 available on the gecko). Most of them are already equipped with good 80vdc supplies for the servos, so all you really need is the breakout board (get the combo board from campbell designs), 3 gecko 320's, and mach3. Add an extra estop and start control on the head for control. Runs about $850 plus a pc with a printer port. Add a Teco VFD and you have the spindle controlled by the software. BTY, if anyone needs original boards, let me know.

TM-8 lathe in shop here about 6 months old. General concensus- piece of crap. Hurco has sent us a new spindle under warranty, we just have to put it in. They say it still needs balancing. I wonder why a spindle cartridge was sent out of their shop unbalanced.

My company recently purchased a VM2 milling center.
Not too fimiliar with the programming and often need advise.

I have a MD3 machining centre 1986/1989 with a ultimax II, an old machine but very solid and accurate, does a lot of quality work for us. The programming is dead easy and very capable. When we got it (about a year ago) I remember thinking that a 1989 control that had helical interpolation as standard was pretty impressive. It mainly runs cam generated code these days and regularly runs large files all day long by DNC. I've founds loads of priceless info about the control on this forum too. I think a dedicated hurco site is a fantastic idea.

I have an 80's KMB1(BX). This forum is one of only two places I've been able to find any useful information. A Hurco site would be great!

We have two KM3Ps, a KM5 and a KM1 (I think - it's at a different location). I'm really enjoying the process of bringing these machines up to snuff (we bought them used). So far I like the way they're built and I like the designs. Hurco's support is especially good.

I'd love to see a Hurco forum.

By the way, can anyone out there supply me with pictures, parts diagram or any other info for the powerhead air ratchet mechanism on the KM-5? It's the mechanism that opens and closes the tool chuck on the spindle, and sits underneath a tall black cylinder on the top of the machine.

Thanks in advance! - Dave

I converted a broken 1980's KMB-1 using Mach3, Teknic Servo Drives, and a PMDX breakout board. The great thing about this particular hurco is that the inductive limit/home switches are 5V and are very accurate. Took a few weeks of hard work trying to figure out what I would use from the old setup...but eventually I just ripped it all out and sold it to a Hurco repair company for more than I paid for the machine. Then I made a backplate to mount the Teknic drives/breakout board on and ran all the wires through a hole in the back of the machine to where my PC sits. It's not the most beautiful conversion but I'm more into function over form. So far the machine has paid for itself a few times and I'm getting ready to start production on some affordable 5 way touch probes that will be 100% machined on the Hurco. The only thing I don't like is the lack of tool changer, and the 5 inches of Z travel. But Mach3 makes it an absolute joy to use!

P.S. I also bought a 1999 Feeler VMC, and the Fanuc control feels like I'm working on something from the 80's. I think I'm going to sell all the fanuc crap (crap in ease of use, not quality) on ebay and go Mach3. Just need to get the Mach3 guys settled on how to do rigid tapping....

Back