What's new
What's new

How to remove tooling without power?

setlab

Aluminum
Not the normal topic here I know... But I was checking out the local scrap yard today and came across a cnc mill that had been scrapped out. It had a handfull of different tool holders and collet holders still in the tool changer and spindle, I looked over the thing but didn't see an easy way to get any of the tooling out. I know that's not much to go on but are there any general tricks to getting these pull stud tool holders out?

Generally stick a screw driver between the toolholder flange and whatever and pry out. You didn't think to take a picture while you were there? No idea what machine it was?

Most tool changers use springs or clips that either hold on to the pull stud or straddle the groove of the holder easy enough to just pry on it like Matt suggested.

I was going back Monday anyhow, I should have taken some pictures though. I'll try the screwdriver method.

If you really want the one in the spindle, you might be able to bring an air tank and hook it directly to the drawbar piston. Bring some different tubing/ pipe thread adapters and a box full of rags to drop it into

They had a pneumatic drawbar installed on it. I'm fingers crossed that some leverage will work. Cause I'm probably not getting out the wrenches to take it apart.

It's going to drive me crazy because the one in the draw bar looks like the nicest one.

If the tool unclamp device is pneumatic then the easiest way would be to do like npolanosky said.

I've only removed a spindle tool once on a machine with no power. It was a 40 taper machine with a hydraulic unclamp cylinder. Had to remove the cylinder and using about a 5 foot bar and most all my weight got enough force to pop out the tool.

Back