What's new
What's new

How to setup tools on a DMC103V with 840D control

markp

Hot Rolled
Trying to set up and load tools on my new to me DMC103V with 840D control and between the DMG manual, and the 840D manual am missing something. I can describe and load tools in the tool magazine but cant call them from MDI. I get a 171090 error but me error manual does not explain what that error means.

I see reference in the manuals to "activating" a tool and stuff like "duplo" values but no explanation of what those terms mean that I could find. Never seen a more needlessly complicated system for tool data entry in my 20 years using cnc. Heres what my tool table looks like after tool data is entered.

Does anyone with one of these know of a basic procedure for doing this?

Attachments

• tool list.jpg
    tool list.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 123
My Machine has the 828D control they are supposed to work the same. I am not sure I understand your question but here is how I setup my tool library. I hit the jog button that opens up a screen with a soft ket called TSM press that in the upper right corner of the TSM screen there is another soft key that says Tool select that will open the tool library I then enter the tool data either in an empty slot or overwrite an existing tool. I hit in manual and then the cycle start button it will either pick up a tool or if the slot is empty it will go through the motions and the spindle will be empty I then hand load that tool or change the tool into the spindle to the tool I entered. I set my tool lengths manually I don't have an electronic tool touch off.

For setting heights I use an APM tool setter and set it on the table it is 3" long when on zero with the machine in machine coordinates offset mode I set all the tools in the rack to the table.

I cant help much on the 840 but if its anything like the 828 or 2100 make sure you set the drill angle to 180 or 0 degrees if you are using code for your program rather than the control. When that drill is called and say your G8X says -1.0 it compensates for the drill point and will go to what it thinks will give you a usable -1.0 for whatever diameter is in the tool list. I hate that feature and have bitched to them for 20 years about it. Lost a many of parts on that oversight/stupid feature.

I tried all the simple stuff. I am able to describe and load tools into the magazine. I just cant get the tools to respond to M06 commands so that I can go on to set the offsets. The errors seem to say the tool is not "activated" but I cant seen any explanation for what an activated tool is or how to activate a tool. I was able to do a tool change using data that was previously in the control but I erased the tools in the list when I went to make a new tool list of my tools.

All the tool setting stuff seems to be spread across many different screens. Some of the fields cant be changed in some windows. There seems to be no global tool data setting window like on every other control Ive ever used.

My Machine has the 828D control they are supposed to work the same. I am not sure I understand your question but here is how I setup my tool library. I hit the jog button that opens up a screen with a soft ket called TSM press that in the upper right corner of the TSM screen there is another soft key that says Tool select that will open the tool library I then enter the tool data either in an empty slot or overwrite an existing tool. I hit in manual and then the cycle start button it will either pick up a tool or if the slot is empty it will go through the motions and the spindle will be empty I then hand load that tool or change the tool into the spindle to the tool I entered. I set my tool lengths manually I don't have an electronic tool touch off.

For setting heights I use an APM tool setter and set it on the table it is 3" long when on zero with the machine in machine coordinates offset mode I set all the tools in the rack to the table.

Heres the problem. I erased all the other tools I had entered. Made a fresh set of tools. I also found the activate button and activated the tools. I havent set the tool offsets yet. So, I go to MDI, enter a tool change command for a tool in position 1 tool 1 and I get the 171091 error. Hard for me to make out but somehow that error seems to mean the tool is not initialized.How do you initialize a toolon these controls?

Attachments

• tool1.jpg
    tool1.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 123
  • tool2.jpg
    tool2.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 124
  • tool3.jpg
    tool3.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 118
  • tool4.jpg
    tool4.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 71
I offered to send you the manual for your laser, and you never PM-ed you email. I should also have the tool management manual for your controller.

Pretty sure even those old 840Ds can do a tool change from the JOG menu, which is a lot easier than MDI.

I offered to send you the manual for your laser, and you never PM-ed you email. I should also have the tool management manual for your controller.

Pretty sure even those old 840Ds can do a tool change from the JOG menu, which is a lot easier than MDI.

I looked it over and theres no option for tool change from the jog menu. Ill send my contact via PM. Thx!

What actually needs to be defined on an 840D tool for it to become usable to the control? Ive entered the tool number, loaded the tool, let the control select the position (next highest number in the tool changer). Then I activate the tool with the activation button. I see there is a "P" value mentioned in the alarm. What is that? Is that different than the "T" number?

Have you used the load soft key to load the tools you create into either the spindle or a pocket?
Activate and duplo are for tool life managment.

On my Siemens machine I would call up your first tool "cent"
as follows
T="cent" M6

Here is a sample from one of my programs:
T="40MM_FACE_TOOL"
M6
2019-10-26_1457.jpg

Hope that helps

Have you used the load soft key to load the tools you create into either the spindle or a pocket?
Activate and duplo are for tool life management.

On my Siemens machine I would call up your first tool "cent"
as follows
T="cent" M6

Here is a sample from one of my programs:
T="40MM_FACE_TOOL"
M6
View attachment 268166

Hope that helps

That causes a different error. 12080, "channel %1 block %2 syntax error in text %3". I can load the tools into the umbrella when I make a new tool entry. Thats the error with the tool loaded into the umbrella.

Well, I reloaded a different NC PLC archive and now tool changes work as normal with no errors. Weird, as I had loaded the archives from the original floppies a few weeks ago. Now any old tool change command works. T1 M6 or T="1" M6. Maybe finally get to make some parts with this lump.

Spoke too soon, works except for one problem, once it does a tool change it switches from inch to metric, then gets a feed stop. Need to reset the errors to do another tool change.

Not every time though. About half the time it switches back to inch with no error. Once in feed hold, it resets with the acknowledge button then feed start button. This machine sat unused for 14 years. Maybe something to do with it?

Siemens is like mosquitos and cockroaches if all in the world were gone I’m pretty sure it would be a better place
Don

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ok, Now Ive moved the machine into position. Powered up and same problem. I get the 12080, "channel %1 block %2 syntax error in text %3" error again. I deleted the tools and reloaded two of them using the instructions in the manual pictured. Seems to be the same as before. I tried the T="cent" M6 in MDI.

I havent set the Z offset yet, just have them set to 0 now. Im missing something. Anyone have any ideas? It looks like theres only one magazine list on this machine. Maybe Im in some incorrect magazine mode? I got this working after doing a PLC and NC reset last time. Seems like it should work after a power cycle, even if it was a few weeks.

Attachments

• tool.jpg
    tool.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 79
  • tool2.jpg
    tool2.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 57
  • tool3.jpg
    tool3.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 126
  • tool4.jpg
    tool4.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 62
  • tool5.jpg
    tool5.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 52
Yes that’s correct, tool change works again in mdi. Nck may have gotten gorked when I was setting up the machine in its final location. I powered up to make sure the spindle coolant pump was going the right direction. It wasn’t so I powered down before the machine booted completely. Maybe that’s a no no with Siemens controls?

Back