What's new
What's new

Heidenhain TNC 426 - possible to replace HDD with SSD?

amh82

Plastic
Hi guys,

we have a TNC 426 control that failed to book last week, due to a hard disk error. After many reboots the machine finally booted up, I have taken a backup using TNCremo, but I would like to replace the HDD (and other TNC systems) with a SSD drive.

I have read a few threads where this has been successfully completed, but for anyone who has done this, or even replaced with another mechanical drives - could you offer any pointers?

If I clone the existing HDD with CloneZilla (as an example), is that all I need to do (other than the hardware itself)? I have read some people saying you need to change the data from binary to ASCII for clone software to be able to read it, but have also read that you can just do a straight clone and away you go.

If anyone has any experience of this it would be much appreciated if you could help me out!

Thanks

can't help with particulars, but that swap from binary to ascii makes no sense in this context, also don't torture the source hdd now, leave it be till you're ready to clone it to another mechanical or ssd, the more you torture it now - the higher the risk of total failure and complete data loss

I have not removed the drive yet (due to take a better look tomorrow), but I would think it is a 2.5" IDE, so I would have to use a converter.

The binary to ascii conversion comes from Heidenhains NC software update instructions in the 426 service manual, and I had read an old thread where someone was using this method as part of an SSD upgrade for an older TNC.

However, I have also read many threads where users have just used a straight clone of the existing HDD. Some users had reported issues with larger drives causing issues with the BIOS, but again I believe this lies with the cloning method and how the partitions are created.

I have nothing to lose as the HDD has fallen over again today, so I will remove it tomorrow and make a clone of the drive.

If this does not work, I gather you can download the NC setup software from Heidenhain to create a new drive, then I can install the backup I have made with TNCremo, but I cannot find these setup archives on the Heidenhain website, so perhaps they are no longer available.

Will do Gustafson, I have the old drive on my desk, just need to order an adaptor and the replacement SSD.

It is possible to clone the hard drive, our IT guy did ours and we have tested it. Its cheap insurance to have a spare HDD sitting in the draw for a critical machine.

Buy an adapter to match the drive, clone the drive to a file on the host computer, switch the org drive on the adapter for a new one, write the file to the new drive.

Ed.

In linux one uses dd to clone. man dd with get you some guidance. Rather reliable. IMO ssd's are fast but early failure may be a problem. i.e. keep a backup on something that won't age out.
I've had a hard drive n a mazak for 15 years and I thought that was good. :-) However, ssd's are getting better and so is the management software.
You pays y9ur money and takes your chances. I don't know it all and that seems to be the usual case with people. ;-)

Ive been using a Startech SATDOCK4U3RE 1:3 SATA IDE duplicator to make drives for my Millplus and my siemens 840d controls. Just put the drives in there and push the button. Drive 2 has to be = or larger than the master drive. For SSDs on my machines I used an InnoDisk ICF4000 4gb CF with an IDE adapter. I couldn't get other CF drives I had here to work.

Ive been using the ICF4000 on my DMU50V millplus machine for a few months. The siemens control wont accept drives larger than 4gb. The siemens is still using regular HD clones. I made 4 clones for each machines, so far all the clones Ive made tested out.

I have a pdf claiming to show the process, but it is in German, so I have to figure that out

Our IT guy does data recovery, and i'm pretty sure he has a dedicated machine for cloning drives. If you have difficulty, you may be able to find someone that data recovery local to you and get them to clone your drive.

Our IT guy does data recovery, and i'm pretty sure he has a dedicated machine for cloning drives. If you have difficulty, you may be able to find someone that data recovery local to you and get them to clone your drive.

cloning a drive is easy, making it work on a pentium 1 non windows system architecture is not necessarily easy. Also it probably has like a 120 mb hard drive and may not appreciate any other size.

Likely ide interface so a bit tricky.

If 2.5 then more difficult.

We found OLDER USB interface external CD or DVD player that had an ide interfaced drive inside.

Also had a cartridge system to allow placing drive in the cartridge and sliding it into the unit like an 8-track tape.

Being USB easy to use normal pc to work, ghost or other cloning tools to read and image are not difficult to find.

Matching drives on the other hand...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Back