What's new
What's new

How to use renishaw part probe

cgmaster

Cast Iron
I bought a mill a few years ago that had a Renishaw MP9 probe and tool setter.

I am trying to figure out how to use them. I found a bunch of 9000 series programs that relate to both but have no idea how to use them.

The main thing I want to do is probe for workpiece coordinates. X,Y and Z

I have the programs from the mill backed up on my computer.

I bought a mill a few years ago that had a Renishaw MP9 probe and tool setter.

I am trying to figure out how to use them. I found a bunch of 9000 series programs that relate to both but have no idea how to use them.

The main thing I want to do is probe for workpiece coordinates. X,Y and Z

I have the programs from the mill backed up on my computer.

Those macros will enable the probe to pick up the part surfaces, et al. You haven't mentioned machine/control builder. There's documentation that will show you, but many times those macros are called up with either a G or M code after the probe is in the spindle.

Some times the Machine Tool Builder has probe and/or setter functionality built into their part of the control, whereas you'll call up that functionality with G or M? codes set up by them. Other times it's strictly Renishaw Probe Macros loaded on the machine. Hopefully you have some manuals available to help you determine what exactly you have. Of course a machine can also have both MTB and Renishaw functions. That's what I have on a Mori.

Search using terms like Rensishaw "Go Probe" or "Inspection Plus" and see if you can't come up with some down-loadable manuals. Everything you need on the Renishaw side will be found in them. Maybe Kitimura could help with the rest.

BTW - if you see Macro Program 9901, that is the Go Probe Cycle that covers all the functionality Go Probe offers.

EDIT: Also BTW. It wouldn't be unheard of that Machine Builder probe functionality is completely invisible to the user. That's why it's so important to have the books that came with the machine. The tool setting probe function on my Mori is invisible. If I didn't get the Probe Manual with the machine to tell me about it, I'd never know it was there.

2nd EDIT: Sheesh... how many times does it take to get it completely right? The edit above is not completely accurate. If you dig around enough you'll likely find some parameter or setup pages concerning probing installed by the MTB. That would be in the form of setup pages where heights and locations etc. would be entered. If you found stuff like that, then it's just a matter of figuring out how to use or call the probe(s) and their associated function(s).

Last edited:
On Haas, even though they have VQC (visual quick code), and/or a seperate probing page that walks you through what info it wants, the NGC call is (I think without going out and looking) is G65P9995 Ax.x e/h/d/h etc depending on what cycle and axis you are probing. Probably not very helpful on a Yasnac.... :hole:

Here is my list of programs. I hope this may help. I wouldn't mind just jogging manually to pick up X, Y and Z.

The only reason I want to get this going is that somehow my Haimer probe somehow got broken.

I can send the programs to anyone that is willing to help.

I spoke to Renishaw and basically I can buy the probing programs and manuals from them. The programs on my machine are old (1998).

8920 MISSING (INCH)PRORGAM 9100 REFERENCES M98P8920
8921 MISSING (METRIC)PRORGAM 9100 REFERENCES M98P8921

9010 INITIAL TOOL SETUP
9011 RECALIBRATION-BREAKAGE DETECTION
9100 TLM SYSTEM CHECK
9101 TOOL RECALIBRATION
9102 SENSOR POSITION SETTING
9301 XYZ COORDINATE AUTO
9302 INNER CENTERING AUTO
9303 OUTER CENTERING AUTO
9304 #131 SERVO LAG
9310 XY COORDINATE MEASURING MANUAL
9311 INNER CENTERING MANUAL
9312 OUTER CENTERING MANUAL
9313 Z COORDINATE SET
9350 PROBE SETTINGS
9351 CURRENT WORK COORDIANTE CHECK
9352 STORED WORK COORDINATE CHECK
9390 O9301??
9391 09301 ??
99996 TEST SP

As your machine came with the probes and these programs loaded, I think you're setup to do most things a person needs or wants to do with in machine probing and tool setting.

Though I don't recognize anything as an exact copy of what I'm use to, many of the programs listed are pretty self explanatory, though how you set or run them will not be easy without documentation. I can't imagine even for a second how I'd run what I have without the manuals. Unless you're a major Macro wizard, deciphering what the inputs need to be for each cycle and the variables needed to make the same probe cycle act in different ways depending on axis or application would be impossible, and would likely do little more then set off alarms in the control, or worse, start snapping off probe tips or crashing into things.

Best to internet search the hell out of what you have and pray you run into the appropriate manuals. You could buy new software, but I think the latest Inspection Plus with Go Probe is eleven hundred-ish or there abouts. Up to you if it's worth it. It would be sad to pay more when you already have 90% of what you need.

Good luck in your search.

Back