What's new
What's new

How to use the "TEACH IN" switch on a Yasnac MX-3?

gmoushon

Cast Iron
Trying to understand the function of the "TEACH IN" switch on my Kitamura MyCenter-0 with MX-3 control.

From what I understand, on other controls, the "TEACH IN" function allows you to Jog to a position and then "teach" the control the axis positions without having to manually type in the X-Y-Z positions.

Does the MX-3 work the same way? If so, I can't seem to find how to make it work.

Thanks.
gm

My guess is same as yours, yes. If you've went through the process per the instructions and just can't seem to get it to do it then It's probably one of those shiny bells and whistles the builder prepares for during the build but you have to cough up extra for at the time of purchase.

Hopefully somebody will show up and explain how to do it proving me wrong.

Brent

Thanks for the reply Brent.

Yeah, I have all the manuals and after reading 2 hours of 'Jinglish', I finally gave up. The Kitamura doc shows the switch on the control panel diagram but then makes no other reference to it that I can find. Frustrating.

gm

.....From what I understand, on other controls, the "TEACH IN" function allows you to Jog to a position and then "teach" the control the axis positions without having to manually type in the X-Y-Z positions.

This is going back a lonnnnng time.

On the MX1 and MX2 controls it was called "Playback". Pretty sure the MX3 version works the same way. I think "TEACH IN" is just Kitamura's name for the function.

IMO, nothing to be gained by using it. I used it a few times to make a simple facing program or something but found it easier to just write out the code. Here's what I remember supplemented by looking at an MX1 manual. Typically handle mode is used but jog or even rapid work too. Turn on the teach or playback switch. Be on the PROG page. After moving to the position you want to save, key in G0 or G1 then press the key for the axis you want to store then press WR. If another axis position is to be stored on that line press the key for the axis and press WR. When you have recorded all the axes desired, key in a feed if needed then press EOB and then INSRT. You should then get a stored move line. Yay!

This is going back a lonnnnng time.

IMO, nothing to be gained by using it. I used it a few times to make a simple facing program or something but found it easier to just write out the code.

Well, I'll be...you have one hell of a good memory!

Just tried it and it works exactly as you described. When on the PROG page and in HANDLE mode, turning on the TEACH IN switch will cause the current program in memory to be displayed along with fields for X-Y-Z whose values are the current position relative to the current workstation. Jog the machine and the displayed position changes. Then you can use INSERT and WRITE to add a new line of code to the existing program.

I was thinking it would be handy to store positions in the work offsets in the SET page, not just a simple line move. I agree completely its kind of a waste.

At least now, I know what the switch is for!

Can't thank you enough!
gm

I was thinking it would be handy to store positions in the work offsets in the SET page, not just a simple line move. I agree completely its kind of a waste.

At least now, I know what the switch is for!

Can't thank you enough!
gm

Hello gmoushon,
I'm with Kevin with regards to using this feature to create part machining program, but it does make a useful, Poor Man's digitizer. Using a Haimer or similar Workpiece manual probe, the Teach In feature can be used to capture coordinate points on a profile or surface. The resulting program can be downloaded to an external device (PC - Laptop), which can then be imported to CAM Software for further development.

With machines that don't have this feature, a Custom Macro and DPRNT can be used to capture and export point data direct to a Text File on a Card, or External Device.

Regards,

Bill

Back