What's new
What's new

How would I cut/ hollow this part out?

pizza654

Plastic
How would I turn a part like this

full part.jpg

And hollow it out into something like this?

hollow.jpg

the dimensions are

150mm long, 40mm wide and 50mm tall

Any advice would be much appreciated thank you!

Wire EDM or a broach, if those interior corners have to be square. If you need a lot, talk to someone about getting it as an extrusion.

No actually, I'm a novice and I just started doing machining as a hobby. Genuinely curious if this can actually be done on a cnc mill like a tormach

I'm sorry if this sounds dumb to you as I'm a beginner, but is their no possible way to manually mill out the inside?

No but, you could machine it in two parts, and then bolt/weld/glue them together. You don't mention the material. This might be a good part for 3D printing.

thx for the info but I don't actually need the part, I was just curious if could be done on a cnc mill but by the looks of it I guess not

How would you turn a part like that? You wouldn't. Turning means making it on a lathe, which makes round parts.
To make such a part however, in large quantity, extrusion. Otherwise, wire EDM. Yes, these processes are expensive, which is why people that know better avoid sharp inside corners.

It could be done by a combination of milling and broaching, but that would be a real pain IMO.

...but I don't actually need the part, I was just curious if could be done on a cnc mill but by the looks of it I guess not

Isn't that pretty much what Doug suggested? Just an imaginary part.

I suppose, it it were a one-off, that it could be done on a shaper. Take an over-size piece of stock
and bore out the largest possible hole that would fit within the profile then attack it with a shaper.
You'd need to to rotate the part several times and you'd likely need to grind multiple tools but it
could be done. Once you had the ID finished you could whittle away at the outside with a regular
mill.

You could also do the inside with a wire EDM but that would be a long, slow process...

You could also do the inside with a wire EDM but that would be a long, slow process...

Compared to making it on a shaper, requiring several custom ground tools?

We don't know the scale of the part. Could be three feet across, or 3mm. If the former, maybe start with a casting. If the latter, maybe have it lasered.

Isn't that pretty much what Doug suggested? Just an imaginary part.

I suppose, it it were a one-off, that it could be done on a shaper. Take an over-size piece of stock
and bore out the largest possible hole that would fit within the profile then attack it with a shaper.
You'd need to to rotate the part several times and you'd likely need to grind multiple tools but it
could be done. Once you had the ID finished you could whittle away at the outside with a regular
mill.

No indication of material....could be non-conductive....Like "Play Doh !"

Typically, if this were an aluminum part and there were a lot of them to make a guy would make a custom extrusion die and make them 12 feet long then cut to length.

Back