What's new
What's new

Small endmill and AL

Corn

Aluminum
Hi,

I had to mill small slot with 3mm diameter 3 flute carbide endmill and the DOC was 3mm as well. Material Aluminium most likely 6063 T6. No flood coolant in use, just compressed air to blow the chips away. It didn't end up well, I broke the endmill due to chip welding and clogging it. I checked the feeds and speeds by G-wizard and even the lowest setting with limited 7000RPM gave 160 mm/min. I used actually 130mm/min to be safe but didn't help. So my question is, is there any chance to make this work with plain compressed air? Maybe with lower rpm.

Thank you in advance.

Instant fix- spray a line of WD-40 in the EM's travel path, direct the air flow to where it will still clear chips but hopefully not remove all the WD-40. Could also be a good place to try one of those machining pastes.

Longterm, upgrade your air blast to include an MQL system.

Lowering the RPM won't ever help. I would try a bright shiny Aluminum specific Endmill with 2 flutes, instead of 3. Don't use 1 depth, use as many as needed...

R

gave 160 mm/min. I used actually 130mm/min to be safe but didn't help.

Conventional wisdom failed you. Lower feed to not melt down..

What you needed to do was increase the chip load. That whole getting the
heat out with the chip thing.

A bunch of shallow cuts, and feed the hell out of it.

Also, and I HATE saying this, makes me sound like home shop harry. A little
squirt of WD40, or some other kind of lubricant.. Whatever you have in a can
works, liquid wrench, even a little squirt of tap magic, just something to add
a little lubricity.

Also, you have air, a mist system isn't expensive and it doesn't have to be fancy.

Conventional wisdom failed you. Lower feed to not melt down..

What you needed to do was increase the chip load. That whole getting the
heat out with the chip thing.

A bunch of shallow cuts, and feed the hell out of it.

Also, and I HATE saying this, makes me sound like home shop harry. A little
squirt of WD40, or some other kind of lubricant.. Whatever you have in a can
works, liquid wrench, even a little squirt of tap magic, just something to add
a little lubricity.

Also, you have air, a mist system isn't expensive and it doesn't have to be fancy.

All bundled up for $185. Trico HDPE Lil Mister System with Plastic Line, 1 qt Capacity, 5-1/4" Width x 8-1/2" Height x 4" Depth: Industrial Lubricants: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Ok, shallow cuts would be it. But the story actually continues. After this slot I need run there dia 5mm and 1.5mm high t-slot cutter in that slot. With that tool shallow cuts are not possible. That cutter has 4 teeth. I have had great luck with isopropanol, but then I can't use compressed air to blow out the chips...

At 7000 RPM with a stubby aluminum specific carbide endmill in full slot you *should* be able to handle 200-300mm/min feed with a two flute, and a depth of 1xd. That said, if it isn't working, back off on the depth of cut to .5xd. You shouldn't have to go much lower than that. Add some sort of lube as mentioned above, a little should go a long way as long as it is consistently getting to the cutting area. Thinner the better.

Also, very often overlooked, but when running small tools it is better to use small system, on-size collets. My preference is to never use anything larger than an ER16 for a 3mm tool and even then it is likely too big. Too many chances for twisting the collet, causing runout and or poor dampening characteristics. I'd go ER11, Slim Hydraulic w/reducer bushing, Shrink Fit, or Big Daishowa Mega Micro Chuck (have had very good success with 3mm tools in ally slotting 12mm deep).

6063 is gummy and likes to chip weld... almost as bad as 5052. There is no way around using some sort of oil and probably compressed air. I used to machine mountains of it (small parts held down on a backer board, open machines, no flood). WD40 worked with supervision, but I eventually I just started building a dam around the whole part since it was small, and submerging the part in Tap Magic. A mister worked better than nothing, but I don't feel it had enough lubricity.

As mentioned previously, try a 2-flute endmill with sharp, polished flutes and maybe even a DLC or ZrN coating designed for alu. I have had good success using high pressure thru-spindle coolant. Is there a reason you can't/don't want to use coolant?

WD40 can be a lifesaver, too. It works well for threading on the lathe as well as tricky slotting applications..

I machine a lot of aluminum and also happened to me. You need to increase feed, down cut passes and use a mill that handles aluminium, a WNT mill is what you need.

6063 is a PITA. I’d try a single flute cutter with flood coolant, sprayed cutting oil, or a mister with soluble oil mixed in. Increase your feed per tooth and reduce your cutting speed. You want big chips to pull the heat out of the workpiece.

Good luck!

Thanks everyone. Took your advice and as I had only ER25 holders, ordered two ER11 holders..
ER11.jpg

Also AL spesific 3mm one flute and two flute end mills. Looking for supplier in Europe for Trico lil mister as well.. Haven't yet found any. Also getting Aluminum 2007, hopefully it is not that gummy.

Actually got this spesific case done from Delrin as it was ok for this particular job. Saved the cost and effort of anodizing as well. But for the next case hope I'd be better prepared. :popcorn:

6063 is a PITA. I’d try a single flute cutter with flood coolant, sprayed cutting oil, or a mister with soluble oil mixed in. Increase your feed per tooth and reduce your cutting speed. You want big chips to pull the heat out of the workpiece.

Good luck!

Good lord man. If you think 6061 is a pain, you are in the wrong business.

R

Hi,

..... I broke the endmill due to chip welding and clogging it.

Corn,

You've received plenty of good advice. I'll add that in my experience, the lubrication part of whatever fluid you use is what matters.

I have a Haas MiniMill that I use almost exclusively for prototype work, and I run oil in it, not coolant. I have machined 1100, 6063, 6061, 5052, 7075, and even soft copper -- using end mills from 3-flute .015" diameter up to 16mm, and have never once welded up material on a cutter in probably 5 years of exclusively using oil.

Get some sort of lubricating fluid into that cut, and I believe all your cutter breakage issues vanish.

PM

Back