State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by fmari --MariTool- View Post
    Hmm,
    Let me shoot them an email.
    You just want to be able to say that you carry an $800 endmill don't you?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CAMasochism View Post
    Why do you think I ordered the .001" four fluter from Harvey when my guy told me about them?

3. Likes triumph406 liked this post
    Country
    ALAND ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Honestly it's not a bad idea. If I got drunk enough one night to want to buy one, I'd be sober again by the time I figured out how to transfer the money to Japan.

But if I could buy one in 3 clicks on MariTool...

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

yg1 I can get here in canada no problem. love the endmills so far. I really should try that one now.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What can I say. I like expensive stuff. These are @ $1300 each. Shipping 5 out today to a customer.
    PCD cutter with helix. 6mm with 55 flute. Yes 6mm with 55 flutes. For machining solid carbide.

img_1414.jpgimg_1415.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by fmari --MariTool- View Post
    What can I say. I like expensive stuff. These are @ $1300 each. Shipping 5 out today to a customer.
    PCD cutter with helix. 6mm with 55 flute. Yes 6mm with 55 flutes. For machining solid carbide.

img_1415.jpg
    6C Tools AG - PCD tools for machining carbide, ceramic and glass.

Very cool, I'll guess those were laser formed?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Nevada
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was using YG1 and ordered this looking for a better finish. If the YG was better for you than others, maybe this will be better as well.

3/8 3 Flute Variable Flute End Mill 45 Deg Helix 1.0 LOC ZrN MariTool

I dont do anything to the level you've shown, but for my shallow pockets, this Maritool cutter gets my money over YG

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

OSG | Taps | End Mills | Drills | Indexable | Composite Tooling | Diamond Coating | Die Products. 2-Flute, Regular, Square and Corner Radius

Is anyone using these OSG Aero Blizzards? I asked our tooling group and this was their suggestion. Also, a new end mill coming next month.

AE-TS-N・AE-TL-N | End Mills | PRODUCTS|OSG

You can order the Aero Blizzards from us on our new webpage marketplace.

Cutting Tools | Yamazen

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 2outof3 View Post
    OSG | Taps | End Mills | Drills | Indexable | Composite Tooling | Diamond Coating | Die Products. 2-Flute, Regular, Square and Corner Radius

Is anyone using these OSG Aero Blizzards? I asked our tooling group and this was their suggestion. Also, a new end mill coming next month.

AE-TS-N・AE-TL-N | End Mills | PRODUCTS|OSG

You can order the Aero Blizzards from us on our new webpage marketplace.

Cutting Tools | Yamazen
    I used their 2 flute Blizzard a LONG time ago, was not impressed at all. But since then everyone has a version of the 3 fluter.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mtndew View Post
    I used their 2 flute Blizzard a LONG time ago, was not impressed at all. But since then everyone has a version of the 3 fluter.
    Thank you. I was just checking out how our Japanese tooling group saw the market. I really appreciate the feedback.

Andy

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In the end I just got more YG1 hahaha. Nothing suggested screamed "better" so Ill be okay, I did order some with their DLC coating to do some testing though. Should be interesting. I did grab some PCD lathe inserts, that should be fun!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by metalmadness View Post
    Hey,

I feel pretty proud of the finishes I've been able to dial in over the years on aluminum. I tend to rough with Helical Solutions or an indexable solution, but one day I was randomly shopping on amazon and picked up a YG1 Alupower end mill. Well that turned into the best finishing endmill I have ever found for aluminum. The extreme polish on the flutes is killer, and it finishes killer as well.

Well that ain't good enough for me apparently. Im looking for recommendations for the BEST aluminum finishers, bar none. Price is not a problem, I will pay for whatever as long as I can get mirrorlike or better wall finishes. I want the best!

I was perusing YG1's website and apparently the offer the Alupower end mills with a diamond or diamond like coating. I am wondering if that would add to the beautiful finish.

I have considered companies like Iscar or Ingersoll or Emuge but Im not super familiar with them so I would like some guidance there.

Here's some examples of recent partsAttachment 318950Attachment 318952

Edit: Im currently running 45degree helix Alupower, from my understanding a higher helix like that lead to better shear action and gives better finish...is that right?
    Fraisa Multicut XA 6 flute 15590501

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Alabama
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gkoenig View Post
    Practical answer: The SwiftCarb AF5 series. 5 Flutes, with a very high helix and crazy sharp edges. Center through-coolant hole for maximum elimination of chips in pockets and such. You can run them crazy fast and get good finishes, you slow them down and you can get the finishes you seem to be after. For 1/4"+ size cutters, go with these all day long.

Harvey has smaller diameter 5 flute finishers. Look under Material Specific / Aluminum / Finishers. TiB2 is an amazing coating for production applications or long-term use, but if you want the very best finishes, always go uncoated. Just before COVID, we had a project with high profile finishes and we were testing with the Harvey 5 flutes. The initial batch off-the-shelf worked beautifully, but when we ordered for production scale, that batch had big issues. I am sure Harvey would have fixed it, but this was in March/April of last year... so it never got followed up on. Just be aware if you try them that if they run like shit, it is a problem and get Harvey to swap them out before you write them off.

IDGAF What It Costs Answer: Helical flute PCD end mills from Chukyo in Japan. Most PCD inserts are flat profiles with a very sharp cutting edge and minimal relief, with some turning PCD inserts having chip breaking geometry cut with a laser. All of this works extremely well, but the Chukyo guys figured how a method of making straight-up helical PCD cutting faces like a normal carbide end mill.

When you see the pricing, it will put that "I don't care what it costs" statement to the test.

Products Eco-Helix | CHUKYO CO.,LTD
    I would be roughing with the Swiftcarb AV3 as well. Just not the ones with the through coolant holes. Avoid those at all costs.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CORONA VIRUS View Post
    I would be roughing with the Swiftcarb AV3 as well. Just not the ones with the through coolant holes. Avoid those at all costs.
    This isn't for roughing, this is for finishing only, but I will check those guys out....damn $200 for a 3" long 1/2 diameter finisher. These small time guys sure know how to price gouge.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

On a separate note, do you guys feel as though a 3+ flute finishing tool in aluminum is gonna leave a better finish versus a 2 Flute design with large chip gullets? 45deg helix and 3 flute has been my go to.