What's new
What's new

Hurco Bmc 20

Dovermts

Plastic
I picked up a bmc 20 machining center for really cheap. Its in perfect condition they used it for machining plastic. The machine has been sitting for at least 5 years in cold storage. I got it powered up and after fixing several sticky limit switches i had it functioning. The spindle gave me a couple errors the spindle drive had a UU on the display. If i cleared the error it would work again. I was working on the x overtravel switch and the servos shut off. I cant get them to re enable. There are no errors on the screen. I have checked voltages inside the box in the rear and everything seems to have output. Checked all the fuses. If i manually energize the servo contactor
The drives power up don't see any errors on the drives themselves. Does anyone have any other ideas?
I suspect something to do with the crp control relay board?
Thank You
Jason :scratchchin:

Yes a rotary I had a leg a little under so i retapped the transformer now that error is gone. The machine was just sitting there and servos shut off. Pushing the power button doesnt energize the relay on control relay board. Im guessing thats why i cant get the servos to activate. The servos will activate if i manually push contactor in. Ive traced wires and checked fuses and voltages.Ther are no errors on the screen it just tells me to go in manual and press power and start but they dont energize. Frustrated lol

its the umax 2 control with yaskawa drives 1990 machine not sure on version of crp board I will look later when im near the machine

its the umax 2 control with yaskawa drives 1990 machine not sure on version of crp board I will look later when im near the machine

It's probably the same as my BMC25 then.

I have electrical schematics that include the 20. If you double check the CRP board to make sure it matches my schematics I can probably scan them and email them to you. PM me with your address if you want them.

I have the schematics i have been looking them over. luckily the machine has all the literature with it.

Well I retraced all the wires from the power board clear up to the control and there is a ribbon cable that goes between the push button to another board that connects to the cable that goes to the power unit that ribbon cable has bad connections I think that's what it is I'm not sure where I'm going to get one of them

Well I retraced all the wires from the power board clear up to the control and there is a ribbon cable that goes between the push button to another board that connects to the cable that goes to the power unit that ribbon cable has bad connections I think that's what it is I'm not sure where I'm going to get one of them

Are you talking about a ribbon cable inside the pendant? Assuming that you are thinking that the control is just not seeing the start button?

The diagnostics screen shows the start button, so I'd check that first.

The entire operator console on the ultimax is pretty well separated from the control, it's really just a terminal computer. The power/start/motion hold buttons are all latched on the personality board in the control, not at the console, so a bad connection on the ribbon cable that connects the push buttons to the pendant pcb wouldn't cause the servos to shut down in the first place. Are you sure that they shut down by themselves?

I'm not sure if they did shut down themselves or not. I did a continuity check on the ribbon and there are bad strips in it. I manually jumped the pins and the servos energized so there has to be bad strips in ribbon. I am going to solder wires on ribbon and repair it . I will update results. When you open the hinged lid it flexes the ribbon i'm guessing that's why is bad?

I'm not sure if they did shut down themselves or not. I did a continuity check on the ribbon and there are bad strips in it. I manually jumped the pins and the servos energized so there has to be bad strips in ribbon. I am going to solder wires on ribbon and repair it . I will update results. When you open the hinged lid it flexes the ribbon i'm guessing that's why is bad?

I'm assuming it's the laminated ribbon cables you are talking about. They get very fragile with age, and basically fall apart.

I don't know why they were used instead of normal ribbon cables, there's plenty of those in there too.

Looks good. There is one more of those laminated cables in there, going to the softkeys between the screens. Something to bear in mind if they ever stop working!

Any idea where i can get updated software for my bmc 20 its on v1.54

On the Max 2 software is on eeproms. A software upgrade requires a new set.

I'm not sure what the v1.54 is. Doesn't sound like a Max 2 software version (the oldest max 2 I ever had has version 8.something).

You sure you don't have a max 3 or a max 32 on there?

Do you know where i could get a post file for my surfcam 2000 fot the bmc-20? All the ones i have found are not right.

Back