What's new
What's new

Hurco bx control issue

DonMarkey

Plastic
Hurco with bx control and a tape emulator. Won’t cycle in auto with spindle on. I can run a program in auto with the spindle off to check the run. But when I turn the spindle on and hit start nothing happens. If I run it is manual the spindle runs fine. Machine has been off for a few months. I’ve had a few issues with the machine in the past but never this. Anyone have any ideas?

You are probably aware of this, but in auto, you have to hit the start button once to start the spindle and a second time to have it start the program. If that's not it, I would reload the master. Personally I have never encountered this issue and I've been running these since '86. If you find the issue, please post back here.

Yes I know about that. The spindle never starts in auto so I’m sure there is the hang up. It has a tape emulator installed so I can’t reload the master. I shut it down for the night and will restart it tomorrow to see if there is a change. I think there was a restart button installed when the emulator was. I think that reboots the cpu. But I never hit it.
Don

Well still doing the same thing. In auto, I hit spindle on and it lights up. But when I him start, the start light and motion hold just quickly blink on then off and when you hit start the second time it does nothing. When the tape emulator is there a hard reset function? I’m not seeing anything. It was upgraded by Midwest cnc by the previous owner.
Don

I'm just guessing here so . . .- 1)check all the front panel pushbuttons and make sure none of them are stuck. Tapping on each one will usually free them up if they are stuck. 2) there is a ribbon cable that runs along the bottom of all the boards in the card cage. The connectors are pretty wide and because of that, the cable connections to the boards can get kinda iffy as the connector body bows out. Slide your hand under the card cage and reseat all the connectors. do this with the power off. 3) have you checked your power supply voltages? Start with the power connectors to the boards in the card cage- they are the 2 pin AMP connectors- (think yellow and white wire). Recall these need to be a solid 5 volts. Put your meter on AC also and check for ripple on these. 4) call Midwest CNC. Good luck

Thanks. I found the reset and it rebooted but same issue. I will go thru everything and hopefully will find something loose. I’ll let you know what I find. Might be something loose inside as I did change out a servo drive recently. I wonder if I bumped something.

Did you unplug the connectors on the top of the servo control board that go to the servo amps in the card rack as part of your servo issues? It is possible to shift those connectors one pin to the left or right and the control will act funky. Recheck that you have the connector bodies aligned to the header pins on the board.

I’ll check that but no. The servo issue was just the z card swap out. There is a good 4.9vdc to the cage. Funny thing is I ran it manually for an hour with no issues.

there was a similar problem, too long stood the device and when you turn on nothing happened! As a result it turned out that over time there was no current in that socket!) laughed for a long time..

Back