What's new
What's new

Hurco spindle nose air

tcncj

Cast Iron
Hello

Our Hurco vm10i just got delivered and installed.
It uses quite some air :eek:
Not during toolchangers or taper purge. But when machine is idle it blows air around the spindle nose. It keeps running, is this normal?

It's acting like that because the bleed air acts to prevent coolant and dust from contaminating the lower bearings. It may also carry a fine spray of oil to lube the bearings too. If you got a maintenance manual with the machine it should go over these features.

If the air flow is really high there may be a misadjusted regulator - you can check into that.

Thanks for the quick reply.
Our previous machine didn't had it. And I was curious what it would be.
It stopped after some time being idle.
I will check if I can find a manual somewhere.

I have a 1.5 year old VM10 and it doesn't do that. If the machine is idle it uses no air for the spindle. I have a version with a 12k ceramic bearing dual contact spindle, so it might be slightly different than the version you have. The VM10 will use some air to push the oil way lube through the system, it should be practically nothing though. There is also a oil drip system that lubes the tool change cylinder, although this should be very minimal air as well.

I would go through the air system and check for leaks using soap bubbles. I do remember on my machine that I had to snug up one of the quick disconnect fittings on the incoming air connection.

Check down by the lube tank for a single gauge on the side of the panel nearest the lube tank. If there is one there, adjust it slightly to reduce the flow. Don’t go too low with it...
If the above gauge wasn’t present, read on...
If you lower the head and open the side door, there are two little taps on the bottom of the head towards the back that regulate the air to the top and bottom of the spindle. You could slightly reduce the flow using these. Once again, don’t go too low...

Hello

Our Hurco vm10i just got delivered and installed.
It uses quite some air :eek:
Not during toolchangers or taper purge. But when machine is idle it blows air around the spindle nose. It keeps running, is this normal?

i believe there is a parameter that can be changed to adjust the timer for the air blow, not sure if it would be a good idea to change it since it does have constant air flow to keep debris out of the taper

According to both Hurco and my trusted technician, this is normal and desirable. Reason being, it prevents dust, oil, coolant and grime from contaminating the bearings/internals.

My VM10i is much louder than my 5ax VM10Ui, but they both do the same thing. Slightly annoying sound but probably not worth messing with params to figure out how to disable. It is there for a reason

I'm not going to mess with parameters.
I bought a screw compressor and air isn't an issue anymore.

Back