What's new
What's new

Hurco TM6 lathe help threading cycle

Dupa3872

Stainless
I bought two used Hurco TM6 lathes with Win Max controls on them, they both came from the same place and I was told they were identical. We have had one set up and running for a few months and just got the other on line.

We program all our jobs in master cam and I have no desire to learn or have my guys learn Hurco programing. The first machine runs our NC programs fine with a few tweaks. The second machine we just got up and running wants to use E work offsets not G54....We finally got it to run our code but cant get it to run a threading cycle. We have tried G32, G33 feed rates called E and F nothing works. I am not a fan of canned threading cycles but will do about anything at this point to get these parts out.

We are threading .6875-20 thread in aluminum .300 long.

I am hoping one of you Hurco guys can help with and example thread or a large caliber hand gun. At this point I need it.

Thanks

Ron

Nc setting page

Find the NC settings page. There should be an option for basic or industy standard. Match that setting to the other machine, should be good

Just giving this a bump,

We really need help, a sample block of code would help a lot. Hurco has been helpful while we go through the process of getting these machines on line but it's a long weekend and I would like to get this running.

Make Chips Boys !

Ron

Find the NC settings page. There should be an option for basic or industy standard. Match that setting to the other machine, should be good

Thanks you for the help, this is what makes this forum so good, guys like you.

The machine we have running has thos option in the NC settings page. The second machine does not have those options.

Attachments

• TM61.jpg
    TM61.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 217
  • TM62.jpg
    TM62.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 212
It is no help. But the NC setting page looks the same on our TM8, like your 2nd machine, w/o the option to change it.

I talked to our machine reseller. Since there is not the option on the NC setting page, that it is not able to be changed. Said it might have been an option at the time? He said best bet is to work with the CAM post to try and make it work. I am supposed to be getting some information about that.

If it helps any I can email you the NC programming manual and a document called Hurco Lathe NC Differences to Fanuc 0T.

Curious on your 2 machines. If you hit the Input button. What version of software does it show?

I have version 1.2.00.04

Since you have V2... I would think you have that option?

Hurco Lathe NC Differences to Fanuc 0T
Note the following will work for Version 2 software levels.
Please see note at bottom for Version 8 and Live tool machines.
1. E_ is the work offset equivalent to G54, e.g., E1 is work offset # 1. E1 through
E99 is valid. Offsets are set in Part Setup table.
2. There is no G28. Use G0G53 X_ Z_ to a fixed position. G53 = Machine
Coordinate System.
a. Model TM6 -
b. Model TM8 – X14.0845 (358mm) Z23.0709 (586mm)
c. Model TM10 – X15.6693 (398mm) Z24.9606 (634mm)
3. There are no roughing or finishing cycles; i.e., no G71, G72, etc, no “P” or “Q”.
All moves must be output in long hand G-code.
4. G80 Drill Cycle codes are supported.
5. G78 is the threading cycle (similar to G76 on the Fanuc, but with different
parameters).
6. M98 or M99 are not supported. To loop, see example at end.
7. The NC program can be verified on the Hurco graphics providing the customer
defines the tools used in the Tool Setup table.

I have version 1.2.00.04

Since you have V2... I would think you have that option?

Hurco Lathe NC Differences to Fanuc 0T
Note the following will work for Version 2 software levels.
Please see note at bottom for Version 8 and Live tool machines.
1. E_ is the work offset equivalent to G54, e.g., E1 is work offset # 1. E1 through
E99 is valid. Offsets are set in Part Setup table.
2. There is no G28. Use G0G53 X_ Z_ to a fixed position. G53 = Machine
Coordinate System.
a. Model TM6 -
b. Model TM8 – X14.0845 (358mm) Z23.0709 (586mm)
c. Model TM10 – X15.6693 (398mm) Z24.9606 (634mm)
3. There are no roughing or finishing cycles; i.e., no G71, G72, etc, no “P” or “Q”.
All moves must be output in long hand G-code.
4. G80 Drill Cycle codes are supported.
5. G78 is the threading cycle (similar to G76 on the Fanuc, but with different
parameters).
6. M98 or M99 are not supported. To loop, see example at end.
7. The NC program can be verified on the Hurco graphics providing the customer
defines the tools used in the Tool Setup table.

Do you know if a software upgrade is available ?

Thanks

Ron

I was told there wasn't on mine. My lathe is a 2006.

I've also had good luck directly contacting Hurco for manuals etc. FYI

On the mills at least, Industry Standard NC (ISNC) is an option, but it is usually included in the standard sales package.

I am sure Hurco would be willing to enable it on your lathe, although it will likely not be cheap.

It's possible that the control has been reset at some point and the options not properly re-enabled. Hurco should be able to tell you that if you give them the serial number.

It seems unlikely that a company would buy two identical lathes with dissimilar options, unless they also were not the first owner and bought them separately?

I have no experience with Hurco lathes so I can't help you with the lathe version of Basic NC (BNC).

I have the G78 cycle working but we have to really fudge it. for example I am making a 5/8-20 thread. I am supposed to be putting .625 in the X line but then it cuts way off the part. I then tried 1/2 the .625 and did .3115 it ran right at .625 I then did 1/2 the minor Dia and cut the thread. We are not doing something right with the cycle.

If someone can post a sample G78 program for a 5/8-20 thread it would help a lot.

Thanks

Ron

I have a 2012 TM6, so I've been watching this post.

You answered your own question in the photos you posted. One is working on radius programming and the other is working on diameter. Thus, your threading is on radius, not diameter.

Dave

I have a 2012 TM6, so I've been watching this post.

You answered your own question in the photos you posted. One is working on radius programming and the other is working on diameter. Thus, your threading is on radius, not diameter.

Dave

Thanks Dave, I have since changed it to Dia. and thats how it was set when we started playing with G78 We also run a turning tool over the .625 taking a few thow off. That tool runs right to size using G code.

Please help if you can

Thanks

Ron

This is what we are working with. We have tried a lot of things to get this working and have reached the point of brain saturation and frustration. It's getting hard to remember what we have tried and what we haven't.

I have never in 30 years of doing this and have never used canned cycles other than drilling cycles. I am sure that I'm missing something simple.

This is a sample I found and it appears to be in Metric.

G78 Threading Cycle Format

G78 P010060 Q100 R0.05 If this is metric the (Q100 Depth of cut would be 3.937 converted)
G78 X30 Z-20 P1024 Q200 F2 (P1024 Thread depth ( as radius value )= 40.314 converted Makes no sense (Q200 Depth of first cut)7.874 converted Makes no sense

First block of the G78 Threading cycle

G78 : G code for threading cycle.

P : P actually consists of multiple values which control the thread behavior,

01 : Number of spring passes or spring cuts or finishing cuts.
00 : Thread run out.
60 : Flank angle or Infeed angle (allowed values 0, 29, 30, 56, 60, 80).

Q : Depth of cut.
R : Depth of Finish cut

Second block of the G78 Threading cycle

G78 : G code of the threading cycle.
X (U) : The end value in x-axis. We need to enter this value in Rad.
Z (W) : The end value in z-axis. OK
P : Thread depth ( as radius value ).
Q : Depth of first cut.
F : Thread Pitch
R : Thread Taper

Thanks

Ron

Last edited:

Back