What's new
What's new

hurco Vm10U Vs. Haas VF2SS which one????

carbonitetech

Plastic
I am in consideration of a hurco vm10u vs. haas vf2ss. Both will be 5 axis, both about 2012 vintage. Hurco has thru spindle coolant, hurco is 12HP, haas is 30HP. The hurco is cleaner and in better shape but the Haas is about $20k cheaper. I am leaning towards the haas because I can use the money and locally there are a lot more Haas users than hurco. Am i making a mistake?

The Hurco is a fantastic machine for the money. Their strength is in the conversational control which if you are running 5 axis wont mean much to you. I think motion control wise they are in the same tier for performance. Those machines are a bit different so its going to come down to your specific work intended and UI preference.

I personally prefer the Hurco interface.

There's a post I put on PM a while back when purchasing accidentally ordered to Hurco VM-20U's rather than our usual Haas VF-2SS's. We decided to put them on the floor and try to make use of them and they just have no balls. The machines were like working in a cave with horrible lighting. The side doors have no windows and have to be unscrewed to clean the machines out. The coolant tanks leaked worse than any of the old Haas coolant systems.

If you were going to just use it for 3 axis conversational programming it would get the job done but 5X? I would hate to try to look inside the dungeon to see what was going on with a trunnion on it...

Here's a vid I made showing how weak the Hurco spindle is compared to the VF2-SS. We realized after about 2 months that the Hurco was costing us money even trying to prep stock so we gave them to the mold shop and after a week they mothballed em and shoved em in the warehouse.

Haas VS Hurco... VF2-SS takes on VM-20 - YouTube

There's a post I put on PM a while back when purchasing accidentally ordered to Hurco VM-20U's rather than our usual Haas VF-2SS's. We decided to put them on the floor and try to make use of them and they just have no balls. The machines were like working in a cave with horrible lighting. The side doors have no windows and have to be unscrewed to clean the machines out. The coolant tanks leaked worse than any of the old Haas coolant systems.

If you were going to just use it for 3 axis conversational programming it would get the job done but 5X? I would hate to try to look inside the dungeon to see what was going on with a trunnion on it...

Here's a vid I made showing how weak the Hurco spindle is compared to the VF2-SS. We realized after about 2 months that the Hurco was costing us money even trying to prep stock so we gave them to the mold shop and after a week they mothballed em and shoved em in the warehouse.

Haas VS Hurco... VF2-SS takes on VM-20 - YouTube

I'd be happy to take one to free up some space for you, cause I'm a nice guy like that :D

I'd be happy to take one to free up some space for you, cause I'm a nice guy like that :D

Haha, Yeah, By the time the import duties were paid to get them in to China and export duties to get them back out of China one could have bought a brand new one.

Nevermind those pesky details, I'll be by in a few months with my canoe and a barge in tow :crazy:

Yeah, provided my local riggers get it on the barge,,,, Safley.
IMG_20140318_151406.jpg

Otherwise you mayfeel like you got the shaft and have to visit our local Anorectal clinic!

IMG_0083.JPG

It's best if the safety audit reviles the same number of fingers and toes at the end of the job as there was in the beginning, but occasionally sacrifices must be made in the name of a good deal :willy_nilly:

Wow, I was not expecting that. I've always heard good things about Hurcos. Funny how nobody has ever mentioned the weak ass spindle.
Haas get bashed all the time for "HaasPower", but it's clearly the winner in this case.
:cheers:

That model has a very low torque spindle. Hurco are actually very good at displaying the torque curves prominently on their literature/website, so no reason to put those two machines head to head and expect different to what was observed.

G-Coder had a very bad experience with Hurco, and I don't mean to diminish that, but it has coloured his view somewhat...

Wow, I was not expecting that. I've always heard good things about Hurcos. Funny how nobody has ever mentioned the weak ass spindle.
Haas get bashed all the time for "HaasPower", but it's clearly the winner in this case.

I tend to think they are both full of shit with their HP ratings, or its peak or whatever technicality. Although not very scientific a year or two ago I played around taking identical cuts on one of my machines which is a 10 HP Mitsubishi spindle to a newer machines with a "20-25 HP" and I was drawing about the same spindle load and nowhere near twice the load.

Modern day HP ratings seem to be inflated. I don't know if this is the case also with higher end machines as I don't get to be around fancy stuff.

Hurco 12HP, haas is 30HP.
I dunno, seems pretty clear..

Yabutt... Even if Haas doubled their rating (which I doubt, maybe +25%-35% ?), still more than the Hurco.

True.
We have an older Hyundai/Kia 12Hp that would take that cut no problem. It's a decent cut sure,but to bog down the Hurco like that is something that I wouldn't have expected to see.

I don`t do 5 axis but do a TON of 4th axis work and have been vary happy with the VF2SS machines , I still keep a VF4SS around for some larger 4th axis parts in that one runs out of Z really fast if you need longer tools and larger parts on a 4th ...

I should add that the HFO in Washington has been super to deal with, I have no idea who the Hurco dealer is ?

Hurco 12HP, haas is 30HP.
I dunno, seems pretty clear..

The problem is that the ad people and the customers like to compare HP which is a very inaccurate method of truly rating a spindle's ability to do work.

You must compare the spindle torque curve at the various rpms to determine the real ability of the spindle to do work at the needed rpm.

There are plenty of consumer products such as hand power saws, vacuum cleaners etc. that have HP ratings that are rated just short of motor vaporization.

The problem is that the ad people and the customers like to compare HP which is a very inaccurate method of truly rating a spindle's ability to do work.

You must compare the spindle torque curve at the various rpms to determine the real ability of the spindle to do work at the needed rpm.

There are plenty of consumer products such as hand power saws, vacuum cleaners etc. that have HP ratings that are rated just short of motor vaporization.

Certainly true. At least something like this is a good reality check.

Attachments

• Snip-it_1595030958665.jpg
    Snip-it_1595030958665.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 91
That model has a very low torque spindle

That was something that just asstounded me. Why would they only put 12/15 HP spindle on a belt drive system? Just transfering the power to the spindle will cost probably around 15% or more. Then,,, why have a BigPlus Spindle if it doesn't have the balls to utilise the rigidity?

Granted both those machines were lemons before they ever got off the truck but the one thing that drove me crazy is Hurco's rigid tapping. If there was a series of holes it would tap one, reverse, stay in reverse until it was at the next position, stop, orient, then tap the next one. Get a couple dozen tapped holes and it's just irritating to watch.

I don`t do 5 axis but do a TON of 4th axis work and have been vary happy with the VF2SS machines , I still keep a VF4SS around for some larger 4th axis parts in that one runs out of Z really fast if you need longer tools and larger parts on a 4th ...

I should add that the HFO in Washington has been super to deal with, I have no idea who the Hurco dealer is ?

I think it's still Rosco (also the Prototrak dealer). The owner is a good guy, the sales guy is annoying, but I'm sure Haas has way more support staff.

Back