What's new
What's new

Hydraulic Holders - Schunk Tendo vs MariTool Hydraulic

ultraguy

Plastic
I'm currently looking to get some hydraulic holders for finishing on my Robodrill and I noticed the Schunk Tendo holders get lots of positive reviews, but they are a bit pricey. I know MariTool also sells the same type of holders, and they do have premium quality, but it's about $100 cheaper than the Schunk.

Would there be a real difference between the two brands when it comes to hydraulic holder performance?

Buy one of each and put them to the test then let us know what you think
Don

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Not sure where you are getting your Schunk stuff from, but we pay around $229 per holder for either Schunk or YG1, and the Mari ones appear to be slightly less but not $100. I have no input on the quality of the Mari, but the schunk and YG1 both are of great quality for the price.

Not sure where you are getting your Schunk stuff from, but we pay around $229 per holder for either Schunk or YG1, and the Mari ones appear to be slightly less but not $100. I have no input on the quality of the Mari, but the schunk and YG1 both are of great quality for the price.

Where are you getting them? That is significantly less than what I've seen poking around.

I was paying $208 for the schunk tendo bt30 extended 1/2” diameter ones from MSC. Took forever on back order but I got tgem

I was paying $208 for the schunk tendo bt30 extended 1/2” diameter ones from MSC. Took forever on back order but I got tgem

Used to be, but for me, now, MSC wants $285 for "1/2" Hole Diam BT30 Taper Shank Hydraulic Tool Holder/Chuck - 50.8mm Projection, 32mm Nose Diam, 46mm Clamping Depth, 25,000 RPM, Through Coolant"

Regards.

Mike

I've got a bunch of the 1/2" maritool bt30 hydraulic holders. they're great quality and I love them. Never used the schunk but I like the maritools ones enough not to care to try them.

I'm curious to try longer reach bt30 sandvik hydro holders on our brother M140s but they're outrageously expensive and a hard sell to management. I'm just sick of changing out tools on shrink fit holders with a shitty heat shrink machine and fighting to hold tolerances and surface finishes with tiny long reach ER holders

I've got a bunch of the 1/2" maritool bt30 hydraulic holders. they're great quality and I love them. Never used the schunk but I like the maritools ones enough not to care to try them.

I'm curious to try longer reach bt30 sandvik hydro holders on our brother M140s but they're outrageously expensive and a hard sell to management. I'm just sick of changing out tools on shrink fit holders with a shitty heat shrink machine and fighting to hold tolerances and surface finishes with tiny long reach ER holders

Have you considered moving to a replaceable head system? Maritool also makes 12mm thread interface dual contact holders which I use in my Speedio, and he's coming out with CAT40 units as well. I am really liking the thread interface as you can keep inserts loaded in tips and swap them out for different materials instead of taking up tool holders or having to pull down a tool to swap inserts. I also like the runout, impossibility of a pullout, and rigidity.

How long of reach? We run the 4” gauge length schunk one and they are great.

I love tendos but I think Mari makes a dual contact version, the tendos aren't, at least the last time I checked.

Personally....i think hydraulics are too long for 30 tapers and preferred Big Daishowa holders for accurate holding/finishing (Big and Baby).

I love the NBC chucks, but Big Daishowa makes some hydraulic holders that are my absolute go-to for finishing. Short gage length (45mm), dual contact, impeccable quality -- they're really great. (They might be metric only in the short gage length though, I'd have to go check the catalog.)

Have you considered moving to a replaceable head system?

I hadn't thought of that, I like it. What brand threaded body cutting tool do you use?

I was looking at them at one point to replace the 2" face mills we've been using for something with smaller diameter and less gauge length, but never really found something that grabbed me.

Sleeve cost is another thing to consider. Schunk’s sleeves are pricy ($100-ish), and even worse if you get an inch-metric or metric-inch sleeve ($180-ish, for some reason). Maritool’s are all the same price, and all far cheaper. I’ve heard good things about Mari’s hydraulics, never got the chance to use one myself yet. Sounds like a winner though.

I hadn't thought of that, I like it. What brand threaded body cutting tool do you use?

I was looking at them at one point to replace the 2" face mills we've been using for something with smaller diameter and less gauge length, but never really found something that grabbed me.

I got a steal on a handful of Seco Turbo 3-flute 1" heads with a 12mm interface so for now I've got aluminum and steel/exotics loaded up in two of them for the Speedio (in a Maritool dual contact holder) and I'm waiting for Frank to finish his CAT40 dual contact units to start using them in my M560 as well (to replace a 1" 2-Fl solid shank Seco Turbo I've had since forever).

Korloy also makes the 1" Pro-X in a 12mm thread but the head was like $600! It was seriously three times the price for a threaded head as for a solid body. At that Point I think I could buy a solid body and have it cut down by a local shop that does a lot of their own in house stuff like this. I was unimpressed with their aluminum rougher but evidently a lot of tool shops in the area use their stuff for moldmaking applications.

Sandvik and Seco also make a bunch of solid and inserted cutters in different geometries and interface sizes, and they also both have tool steel or solid carbide shanks for use in normal holders. If I wasn't so heavily invested in the Seco stuff I'd probably have gone with Sandvik but that's because I get killer applications support from the local rep, and their tools seem to last forever in the cut when I follow his advice.

I am sure there are a ton of other options out there, probably many more economical, but I fell in love with those Turbo mills and have so many inserts and bodies around that it would be hard to divest at this point.

I have a few of the Cat40 Schunk Hydraulics. They have been great for 5 years in the okumas. Not Dual Contact. We sleeve them down to 1/2" mainly. Seem comparable to the YG-1 Hydraulics, mainly longer length for the 5ax.

I picked up one of the BT30 Dual Contact Mari 1/2" holders. Its nice and short and runs great in the 16k brother. The rest of the brother is mainly Mari holders. The grinding on the early ones seem to have some wheel bounce. I know they got some new grinders and all the newer (last4 years at least) look great.

I have a few of the Cat40 Schunk Hydraulics. They have been great for 5 years in the okumas. Not Dual Contact. We sleeve them down to 1/2" mainly. Seem comparable to the YG-1 Hydraulics, mainly longer length for the 5ax.

I picked up one of the BT30 Dual Contact Mari 1/2" holders. Its nice and short and runs great in the 16k brother. The rest of the brother is mainly Mari holders. The grinding on the early ones seem to have some wheel bounce. I know they got some new grinders and all the newer (last4 years at least) look great.

Thanks for the info, I bought a Maritool hydraulic holder in 1/2" for my Robodrill. Never used anything but drill chucks and ER holders before so this will be interesting.

Back