What's new
What's new

I need a cutting tool geometry explanation

metalmadness

Hot Rolled
Hey all, Ive been in this industry for over 10 years and worked in multiple shops. My old boss didn't have a very good explanation of this question.

Can someone explain what the term "free-cutting" means, specifically when it comes to cutting tools? (i already understand what free-cutting steel is, yes.)

It is typically found in hi-feed style cutters and I assume it is the fact that the lead angle is negative. Or is it the rake angle? Or both?

Thanks in advance!

Typically more rake and relief, but what really matters is less cutting force. A corncob mill is free-er cutting than a finish mill, of the same geometry. An endmill for aluminum is free-er cutting than one designed for steel, etc...

"Free cutting" would be more of a positive rake, some ball endmill makers have an "S" shape on the nose with a positive grind, for more "free cutting", or so they claim.

I believe at one time it was a reference to a cutter that requires less HP. Whatever that means, as far as Geometry goes, I don't know.

Of late though; I think it's on the shelf next to the Aerospace grade Aluminum, and the Titanium knives, the Pure Billets are on the bottom.

R

Back