Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Iowa
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default I need help with Fadal 4020 tool setting

I can't seem to figure out what I'm doing wrong I set the tool using the tool setting program. if I set the tool height it adds the set block length in such as -19.000 withe a 3" block for a -22.000 setting. When I use the fixture setting cycle it reads a negative number for Z height. WAtching a video on Youtube by AT-Man Unlimited the z number changes to a positive from the tool height setting to the fixture offset number.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When you call your tool height offset H it will change. I keep my Z fixture offset set to 0. So with no tool height offset called, 0 will be the Z tool change position. With H called, 0 will be the tool 0 that you set.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Same here. I leave the "Z" parameter in the fixture offsets set at zero, and control the Z with the tool height offset.

I zero every tool to the table itself. Then, depending on what fixture I'm using, I use the "mass modify" operation in the tool offsets menu, for the specific fixture I'm using.

So for example, say I want to run a part that's held in the stepped jaws of my vise. The step is 5.900 above the table (I know this because that's where I machined the jaws).

So in that case, from "Enter Next Command" I'll hit space, 6, 3. It then prompts me for the starting tool number. I enter 1. It then prompts me for the ending tool number. I enter 22. It then prompts me for the offset. I enter 5.9. Presto, all my tools are now zeroed to the step of the vise jaws. I only have a 21 tool changer, but position 22 keeps track of where everything is set. It'll have 5.9000 in it.

Later I want to run something that sits on a different fixture that's 3.0763 high. I hit space, 6, 3, and look at the offset for tool 22. I see it's 5.900. I then do a mass modify on tools 1 through 22 again, entering -5.900 as the tool height offset. This brings everything back to the table. Then I mass modify 1-22 again, entering 3.0763 as the height. Presto, all tools are zeroed to the fixture, and 3.0763 is recorded for position 22.

This is the way I was taught to do it when I got my first Fadal in 2003. Early on, I noticed that the fixture offsets table also has a Z height offset parameter. I experimented with using it instead. It didn't work, and I couldn't make sense of how it was behaving, so I just went back to the way I was taught. Been doing it this way for 16 years now. Works fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ZfMax View Post
    Same here. I leave the "Z" parameter in the fixture offsets set at zero, and control the Z with the tool height offset.

I zero every tool to the table itself. Then, depending on what fixture I'm using, I use the "mass modify" operation in the tool offsets menu, for the specific fixture I'm using.

So for example, say I want to run a part that's held in the stepped jaws of my vise. The step is 5.900 above the table (I know this because that's where I machined the jaws).

So in that case, from "Enter Next Command" I'll hit space, 6, 3. It then prompts me for the starting tool number. I enter 1. It then prompts me for the ending tool number. I enter 22. It then prompts me for the offset. I enter 5.9. Presto, all my tools are now zeroed to the step of the vise jaws. I only have a 21 tool changer, but position 22 keeps track of where everything is set. It'll have 5.9000 in it.

Later I want to run something that sits on a different fixture that's 3.0763 high. I hit space, 6, 3, and look at the offset for tool 22. I see it's 5.900. I then do a mass modify on tools 1 through 22 again, entering -5.900 as the tool height offset. This brings everything back to the table. Then I mass modify 1-22 again, entering 3.0763 as the height. Presto, all tools are zeroed to the fixture, and 3.0763 is recorded for position 22.

This is the way I was taught to do it when I got my first Fadal in 2003. Early on, I noticed that the fixture offsets table also has a Z height offset parameter. I experimented with using it instead. It didn't work, and I couldn't make sense of how it was behaving, so I just went back to the way I was taught. Been doing it this way for 16 years now. Works fine.
    Right there with ya buddy. I'll try your method next time.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

IMO, use Aaron Gough's macros:

A Fadal toolsetting system that doesn't suck!

Mass modify is probably a similar speed, but the macros do reduce the chance of fat fingering something. They also fix the issue ZfMax was having with fixture Z offsets. Very handy tools.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Iowa
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks guys for the help. I understand now how it changes as a H height. I like the mass modify idea.