What's new
What's new

I need help! I feel like I have tried everything

newbiecnc

Plastic
I have been having issues with the y-axis of my machine. When I move the machine along the y-axis the bearings seem to catch.
I have searched through the forum and attempted several of the suggested fixes for this problem (like loosening and tightening the set screws) but I still can’t seem to get it to work properly. I have attached photos to give a better idea of the machine/problem.

1. machine manufacturer and type: Langmuir Systems CNC Plasma
2. year of manufacture: 2019
3. machine model: Crossfire
4. control brand and model: Artsoft Mach3
5. any machinery options/ accessories if they play into the issue: Everything on my machine are original factory parts

Mechanical help.

Please Help!

Thanks in advance!
Lindsey :)

CNC HELP 2.jpgCNC HELP 1.jpgCNC HELP 3.jpgCNC HELP 4.jpgCNC HELP 5.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Lindsey:
Does this happen every single time you move the Y axis?
Even with an MDI command of only that axis?
Even when you jog it with the handwheel (assuming you have an MPG on the control)?

When you say "the bearings catch" which bits do you actually mean?
The bearings supporting the leadscrew?
The trucks on the carriage?

This should be a pretty easy problem to diagnose; simply isolate each component of the motion control system and test them individually.
You should be able to pick the problem out pretty quickly, so long as it's just mechanical and not a glitchy control.

Cheers

Marcus
Implant Mechanix • Design & Innovation > HOME
Vancouver Wire EDM -- Wire EDM Machining

My first instinct would be that there's some particulate matter in the bearings. Could take them out and see if they spin freely by hand. If one feels rough, replace it.

It's a 1500 dollar pile of shit wanna be plasma table. What do you expect from it. Try one of the hobby forums, they may be better suited to help you.

My first instinct would be that there's some particulate matter in the bearings. Could take them out and see if they spin freely by hand. If one feels rough, replace it.

Thank you,
I will check that out first thing in the morning, It seems to have a little bit of a "hiccup" when moving up and down the y axis

Hi Lindsey:
Does this happen every single time you move the Y axis?
Even with an MDI command of only that axis?
Even when you jog it with the handwheel (assuming you have an MPG on the control)?

This should be a pretty easy problem to diagnose; simply isolate each component of the motion control system and test them individually.
You should be able to pick the problem out pretty quickly, so long as it's just mechanical and not a glitchy control.

Cheers

Marcus
Implant Mechanix • Design & Innovation > HOME
Vancouver Wire EDM -- Wire EDM Machining

Marcus,
Thank you so much for being so kind.
I think I can answer your questions, but please forgive my naïveté.... I am quite new to this whole process.
Does this happen every single time you move the Y axis? Even with an MDI command of only that axis?

This happens in a certain part of the tube rail. Even though I have adjusted the set screws of the bearings it still isn’t completely smooth.

The bearings catch in certain parts on the tube rail. Some are tight and some spin freely. It could be the pillow blocks holding the bearing or the bearings themselves. I had zero issues with the bearings/ machine until now. I have had it for 3 years now.

If it's certain parts of the rail, then the problem is with the rail. It could have nonuniform thickness, corrosion, buildup, etc. I'd go over it with a fine stone.

and If the bearings seem Ok you might blue up all the non-touching parts about the travel and then look to see if anything that should not be touch is touching.
Check to see all your rails are square to each other.
That there aren't buggs on your lead screw.
after a stoning clean-up like mhajicek suggested you might design some shield to keep flashings from getting on the rails.

And at your next thread start: Use A Proper Thread Title. (that makes a search possible so a thread is not just hen's chatter.)
You are lucky that you are not already locked.

Thread: [I need help! I feel like I have tried everything]..Did you try taking an aspirin?
How does that relate to the problem?

Back