What's new
What's new

I need a small mill...........Brother?

david n

Diamond
Just got done talkin' with a customer..........big(ish) order(s) of small milled parts.................I may try to contact the guy that bought my Mini and see if I could buy it back from him:willy_nilly:..........I also saw a S500 Speedio for sale the last month or so. Clean low hour unit(under 100hrs), but looks to have sold. Price seemed OK when comparing it to a Haas Mini or DT machine. I don't really want to buy new, but?????...........and I really don't want a Haas, but a Mini would fit the bill for these parts..............never looked at a DT or a DM unit....................wadda they like compared to a Mini? Tool changer would be nicer(I think)...........Are they built on the same iron?

From all I've seen and heard, a Speedio would be the cat's meow. Fast, accurate, and not a Haas. The 700 is only few bucks more than the 5....................Anyone got a nice gently used one, cheap, lying in the corner they want to sell to me?;)

Oh, and what ever I buy needs to have a small footprint. I just don't have the room or I'd just get another full size mill.( And why I'm looking at a S500 and not the 7....................)

Call your local Yamazen rep and find out what they have on special. Their end of year is in March so they are coming up on some closeouts or stock machines that need to move I'm sure.

Is Hales Machine Tool your dealer in your area? They seemed like a good bunch whenever I was around them and they seemed to have a good reputation and many satisfied clients. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions I can assist with.

I have several 2016 S500s with 16k spindles, Nikken 4th axis tables and probes that I'd part with one of (I have 7 total, and the e-cigarette boom is pretty much over at this point) depending on your definition of "cheap"

I have a DMC DT40I drill tap mill with Fanuc control i am looking to sale if that would interest you. The machine is a 2013 with around 8000 hours. The mill has 10,000 rpm bt 30 spindle, and a Sam Chully 4 th axis. I bought the mill in December and the job i was going to run on it is not going to happen. These are Korean built machines, the company built machines for Doosan if i was told correctly. Looking for $18,500. for it loaded on a truck. Thanks Jason

I try not to be one to spend other peoples money Dave. But, if the parts will pay for the machine? Get a Brother.
But, here is the thing: they are as fast as everybody says. Who is going to feed it?
And, I'm not talking motion speed (yes, they are quick). I'm talking process.
However long you think your cycles on these parts would be in a mini-mill? figure half or less.
Significantly less if there are a few tools, and said mini has an umbrella.

The big thing for me (so far), dead reliable!

I think I know the 500 you mentioned. Was it the one priced in the mid $50's?
If that one would have had 21 tools, and the 16k spindle, I would have been all over it (it probably wouldn't have been $50k then though).

Just checked ebay, still there: BROTHER SPEEDIO S500X1 New 2018 Drill Tap 10k RPM 14 Tools Tool Presetter | eBay

Don't forget about the S300 as well. One hit my floor yesterday. The thing is freaking tiny! You could probably fit two 4" double-station vises in a 300?
If you wanna pick my brain, give me a call. I'm no Brother expert. But, I will be honest with the good/bad (weird) I have experienced.

Holy cow, $55k for a bog standard used S500x1? Without a workpiece probe, even? What are new ones going for these days? Maybe _I_ need to rethink my definition of "cheap."

CONGRATS.

Pics?

916b51c9f9b5d03d0b7d0c6ed558c858.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Holy cow, $55k for a bog standard used S500x1? Without a workpiece probe, even? What are new ones going for these days? Maybe _I_ need to rethink my definition of "cheap."

That's why it's still for sale.... Pretty sure that is over new cost.

Comatose, please check your PM's.

I just go a quote on for some Brothers...........the standard 500 10k rpm came in at $69k.........................16k Big Plus spindle $88k................the 700 starts at $90K..................I'm looking for a different option............with those numbers I might as well just cram a new full size VMC(DNM4500) in there:willy_nilly:...........might check out a DNM4000 from Doosan................they at least come with TSC, 12K, chip, 20 tools, manual pulse generator standard in the low/mid $80's(one problem though is the chip goes out the back. It's a little long).............Haas DM2 in the mid $70s...........Haas Mini Mill 2 in the low $60s....................

Nice setup Wheelie................what did the 300 come in at? PM me if needed..............

Comatose.............I shot you a PM the other day and haven't heard back.......................

.........Haas DM2 in the mid $70s...........Haas Mini Mill 2 in the low $60s................

These prices should compare the S700 and S500 base models. I'd take these any day over the Haas unless you know you need the 40 taper. For the ebay S500, pay a few more bucks and get a warranty.

These prices should compare the S700 and S500 base models. I'd take these any day over the Haas unless you know you need the 40 taper. For the ebay S500, pay a few more bucks and get a warranty.

No those Haas prices had some add ons...........chip, 4th prewire, probing, etc................base DM is $62k and base Super Mini 2 is $50k................prices I got from my local dealer just this week were $69k for a base 500 and $90k for a 21 tool 700............................

I think that Ebay unit is gone. It was listed on a few used sites and now only on Fleabay................prolly never took down the sale..................I saw it in December(when I wasn't needing one) and got a used dealer quote on it for $50k.( I woulda countered for $45k or so)..............$19k less than new. That's a lot for just a warranty...............the unit only has 60 hrs on 'er....................

Ignore my last post then. I thought the "special" prices the salesman quoted were normal, guess they were special. Or did prices just jump a bunch?

Wheelie, have you posted a run through of how the Flex system is working out for you?

No those Haas prices had some add ons...........chip, 4th prewire, probing, etc................base DM is $62k and base Super Mini 2 is $50k................prices I got from my local dealer just this week were $69k for a base 500 and $90k for a 21 tool 700............................

I think that Ebay unit is gone. It was listed on a few used sites and now only on Fleabay................prolly never took down the sale..................I saw it in December(when I wasn't needing one) and got a used dealer quote on it for $50k.( I woulda countered for $45k or so)..............$19k less than new. That's a lot for just a warranty...............the unit only has 60 hrs on 'er....................

A Haas DM2 is a very different machine from a Brother Speedio. Comparing them is really missing the point of each machine... sort of like comparing a Mustang to a Corvette. Sure, the Mustang might have a big engine and be able to spin the tires well, but it doesn't have the other stuff that makes a Corvette what it is.

I run a Speedio and a DM2 daily and they aren't comparable. The DM2 is better if you are doing a mixture of various materials with different lengths of tools and might need to use long endmills with large projections, or if you need to save money, or if you already know the Haas control and learning something new is difficult. But if you are primarily concerned with reliability, speed, part fidelity, overall quality and expandability, the Speedio isn't even in the same league - it's light years ahead.

A Haas DM2 is a very different machine from a Brother Speedio. Comparing them is really missing the point of each machine... sort of like comparing a Mustang to a Corvette. Sure, the Mustang might have a big engine and be able to spin the tires well, but it doesn't have the other stuff that makes a Corvette what it is.

I run a Speedio and a DM2 daily and they aren't comparable. The DM2 is better if you are doing a mixture of various materials with different lengths of tools and might need to use long endmills with large projections, or if you need to save money, or if you already know the Haas control and learning something new is difficult. But if you are primarily concerned with reliability, speed, part fidelity, overall quality and expandability, the Speedio isn't even in the same league - it's light years ahead.

I know they are completely different animals(and that the Speedio is a far superior machine to the Haas)...................I just need a small footprint mill for some smallish parts..........either brand will make the parts......It may be a machine bought just for this pile of work coming in and then sent down the road when it's all over.................the stupid Haas may be the better route .............cheaper to start with and easy to unload at the end.......................

I know they are completely different animals(and that the Speedio is a far superior machine to the Haas)...................I just need a small footprint mill for some smallish parts..........either brand will make the parts......It may be a machine bought just for this pile of work coming in and then sent down the road when it's all over.................the stupid Haas may be the better route .............cheaper to start with and easy to unload at the end.......................
Reliability has been flawless with my Brother machines. My older Haas machines were more reliable than the new stuff I bought. I hope the current Haas stuff is better. I gave up on Haas in 2016, when they doubled the price of control upgrade for the 2007/older controls (older control main boards no longer supported). Parts prices went up, and service quality became hit and miss. Haas still has decent to really good resale, it seems. I'm hoping people will start to recognize how good the Brother stuff really is. People like Brother Frank and 2outof3 do their best to help people, giving them honest advice, whether it's an old Brother or telling them the Brother isn't the best fit. That kind of honesty and service is rare in my experience.
You might want to check and see if Yamazen has any inventory that they want to move. Sometimes you might be able to get a machine set up a little differently than you started with for a much better price if it's in inventory.
Good luck with your project!

IMG_20210202_2015514.jpgIMG_20210202_2016110.jpgIMG_20210202_2018525.jpg

The least-used one of my Brothers has all of 187 hours of cutting time on it, manufactured 11/2015. Blum probe. The tailstock wouldn't go with it, I only have 2 of those.

I've been PMing people $50k including the 4th.

I will give David N priority on one, though, since it's his thread. I'd be willing to part with two total at the moment.

One heads up, my guys threw away the shipping brackets, so we'd have to fab some up or borrow some from someone. They're just two plates and a piece of angle welded together.

Back