What's new
What's new

I once saw a link to CNC toolholders which held power tools here - Can't find it now?

dandrummerman21

Stainless
I am not crazy, I swear.

I seem to remember a link to which someone found a website advertising toolholders that held certain power tools, but I cannot find it now.

The one that I can picture in my head clearly is a cat40/50 toolholder with a bandsaw on it. The bandsaw maybe had 6" of available cut length, for scale.

I believe the tool was driven by the spindle, like a right angle head would be.

I seem to remember other tools but can't recall exactly what they offered. Perhaps a reciprocating saw, maybe a skil saw, etc?

I'm not crazy, right?

I think Ox may have commented on the thread.

Googling "cnc saw holder", "cnc power tool cat40", and every specific combination I can think of to describe the site, just come up with actual saws and misc junk.

This is all that I got:

mall-ninja.jpg

---------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

This is all that I got:

mall-ninja.jpg

---------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

But do they sell that mounted to a cat40 holder? (actually I need a BT40 but I could probably modify a pocket in the carousel and remove a key)

Am I nuts? I swear the link or image I saw linked here wasn't satire. It may have been about 7-10 years ago, probably not before that.

But do they sell that mounted to a cat40 holder? (actually I need a BT40 but I could probably modify a pocket in the carousel and remove a key)

Am I nuts? I swear the link or image I saw linked here wasn't satire. It may have been about 7-10 years ago, probably not before that.

Paul Kim from SureFire has always been an Index lathe kinda guy.

I think I vaguely remember what you're talking about. I think I saw a small belt sander that went in a toolholder.

I might have just dreamt it though.

Okay okay, I found it, and it wasn't exactly what I thought it was. Also, it wasn't on this site, but that other CNC forum. Weird because I don't have an account there, but I must have googled something for it to come up. oops, sorry Ox.

Anyway, not exactly what I thought. They are "aggregate heads" for CNC Routers. I was thinking there was a small band saw, but what I actually saw was a chainsaw. Also it wasn't on a CAT holder but I think Techniks could do that for you.

0n7IhvR.png

Techniks CNC Machine Tooling | Custom Aggregate Heads

I just want to cut off a part from an indexer in a cnc mill, without resorting to using a small endmill. And while if I was in the market for a special tool like this, I know a right angle head with a saw blade would be better, I was curious about how much a tool mounted band saw would cost...

I would have loved to be in the meeting where somebody pitched that chainsaw HSK tool!

I saw a video of that chainsaw tool in action quite a while back, the really cool use they had for it was cutting blind pockets in a workpiece from the side, they would plunge it into the workpiece tip first, really clever solution to that need!

EDIT: Found a video showing what I was describing (at 30 second mark):

Aggregate heads in cnc routers are fairly common these days. I asked Benz (mfg of agg heads) what the chainsaw was for when I was at IWF years ago and they are commonly used in prefab wall construction where there is foam in the center. They get the depth of cut they need and it works great.

I have used an adjustable angle head at my old job. It worked good for one job I had to drill holes at a weird angle and we couldn't get it on the 5 axis.

The horizontal boring (drilling) heads are pretty common as are the saw blade heads.

Most of them are for the HSK63F spindles but I seem to recall some ISO30 as well.

Back