What's new
What's new

Ideas/Opinions on machining a part...

dodgin

Hot Rolled
IMG_20170110_0903128.jpgIMG_20170110_0903190.jpg

So this part is currently being done in a few setups. Basically gets milled down on both ends, then put into the lathe to put in the center taper, then flipped over for another one of the side tapers then set up again for the taper on the opposite side. After that, put back into the mill for the broaching.

Basically looking for any ideas to do these complete in one or two setups on the HMC. These parts come with the periphery flame cut, and building fixturing and tooling up is all thought of if we can get a better time on these things.

The best and (in my opinion) only good idea I've heard so far is step drilling and then going through with a tapered reamer. Admittedly I don't always have the best mind for these things so I'm curious to see what some of the brighter minds on this forum think.

Thanks all.

Edit: realized there's no vertical dimensions on that attachment. Center bore is 4.88" and bores on either side are 4.00"

mill the outside side shape , put in some start holes and send it out to an EDM shop. No sweat for them. Bet it wouldn't be all that expensive either

Don't get me wrong, I'm appreciative of the input, but this is the kind of suggestion that will make me a lot of enemies in a very short time where I work.

Dedicated tool with the taper ground into it
In several steps or full lenght (Don`t know if thats possible )
Or there are boring heads that can do a taper Don`t know if you can use them on a CNC though

Peter

To me it looks like a lathe and fixture part. But requesting HMC ideas

Does your horizontal have a high speed rotary table?
Spin it like a lathe with stationary boring bar in spindle...it would still be three ops to complete.

The tapered reamer mentioned would have 100% cutting edge contact...AKA Boatload of torque to turn it and hold part.

If tolerance allowed...possible a tapered endmill and interpolate...but thinking BO-KUU-BUCKS as I'd expect it to be custom. Could even go reverse taper for done in one...
I'd still interpolate a rough tapered bore with ball mill then come back to clean up with custom tool.

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

So we're trying to get it outfitted to run on a Cincinnati Maxim HMC. To be honest I don't know much about the machine as far as horsepower goes, but we don't have any sort of additional axes to work with on it either.

Not sure who makes em, but there are boring heads out there for cutting tapered bores..............I'm sure they are $$$$$$.

I don't see any way around turning those tapers if they have to be even remotely straight/concentric.

One mill operation: Face one end, and mill the profile for accurate part loading in the lathe.
First lathe operation: Face second end, turn center taper.
Second lathe operation: In offset jaws, turn small taper.
Lathe op 2.5: Flip part around, turn other small taper.
Broach.

Basically, that eliminates one mill op.

I hope somebody comes up with a way to mill those tapers. I would never try it.

P.S. I agree on the wire-EDM

Don't get me wrong, I'm appreciative of the input, but this is the kind of suggestion that will make me a lot of enemies in a very short time where I work.

Really?

Outsourcing to a shop with the right equipment to do a job can be the difference between a big loser and a big money making job.

I cant see not using a wire for that part, but if that is the case I would stick to the lathe and try to broach in the lathe if you can. 1 mill op and 3 lathe.

What kind of quantity?
I think the 32 finish will be a bear step drilling and then reaming if you had a bunch of them.

Can you interpolate the holes with a tapered endmill? Grind the flute length down to about 1/2" or so, and spiral down as you constantly reduce the diameter. If you get the angles right, and keep the tool sharp, I don't see any reason you couldn't hold a 32 finish. If you're using Mastercam, I'm pretty sure you could program it as a flowline path.

Can you interpolate the holes with a tapered endmill? Grind the flute length down to about 1/2" or so, and spiral down as you constantly reduce the diameter. If you get the angles right, and keep the tool sharp, I don't see any reason you couldn't hold a 32 finish. If you're using Mastercam, I'm pretty sure you could program it as a flowline path.

I think you'd end up with steps down the bore. The tool angle is never going to match the toolpath angle 100%. If the part will work with that finish then that may be the best way to go though.

Lathe job - hand over fist, anything else is going to cost a mint in tooling, take forever and as others have said driving a tapered reamer that size is going to take POWER and TORQUE!

Another point with long tapered reamers is apart from being spendy, IME they tend to lose their edge pretty quickly.

That sorta shape size and flamecut blanks makes me think oil patch / mining ?

On a lathe I'm thinking do the centre bore then mount that on an offset tapered peg on a faceplate etc etc .something counterbalanced anyway, .....do one bore then twist on peg to do 2nd, ....up against stops obviously.

Back