What's new
What's new

I'm with an established firm, but I'm brand new in the world of VFD sales...

GratefulToday

Plastic
After teaching high school/coaching wrestling for two decades, I had a life crash three years ago. It was embarrassing. I left my wife and four kids for two months to an out of state rehab facility. By God's grace they didn't leave me, though I'd given them every reason to.
I realize most introductions don't start the way I just did, but it's where I am. If admitting I struggled for years with alcohol hurts business possibilities, I accept that. Just letting all know why I'm weighing in here, new to this industry despite being in my 40s. I did relapse two years ago, but completely sober since Dec 3, 2017.
Here's my question...
I'm now with an established company aimed at selling the lowest priced Allen Bradley PowerFlex Series Variable Frequency Drives (VFDs) with warranties. I've got a long way to go in terms of learning the industry. So that I don't make the same mistakes maybe some of you have witnessed by folks in my line of work, what are turn-offs regarding VFD sales reps? Also, aside from the obvious - honesty, integrity, product knowledge and follow-up - what are traits you've seen in reps you've found to be admirable/solid?
I need every tip I can get. My college wrestling coach used to say if you "just go to practice," it's improbable you'll end up being great. His point? You have to do things beyond what everyone else is doing to become excellent at anything, and that's all this is. Beyond the training I'm going through with work, I'm looking to people actually in the business for some guidance.
If you'd like to respond on this forum or offer tips via email ([email protected]), I'll take - and appreciate - any advice offered.
Thank you.
Nick

I would say get some kind of small machine that you can run with a load on it, put one of your VFD's on it and start playing with different settings etc... Really learn about the thing so you can talk about (sell) it with real experience.

I would say get some kind of small machine that you can run with a load on it, put one of your VFD's on it and start playing with different settings etc... Really learn about the thing so you can talk about (sell) it with real experience.

Water pump and a discharge control valve come to mind- aka, rudimentary dynamometer.

Oh my God, what a bizarre concept! A technical salesman that actually has hands on experience with the hardware he's selling and can offer real world help and advice. OP......if you follow this lead, you'll be a leader in your field.

Every door you walk into they all hate the sales guy, that is the big deal. Be prepared for that. It is a life of hurt and discouragement.
Salesmen are the slum of the earth to many and you have to accept that.
Very easy to see this on this board and the view towards sales people knocking on the door.
Of the many here if I came knocking I'm sure very many would not even have 60 seconds to talk to me.

If you have something to sell everyone hates you since you are where they have to write checks to.
Be honest, care about your customers needs and concerns.
Give a shit that you help even when it does not good for your paycheck although that hurts in so many ways.
Know your product and when it's good and when to say that it does not fit.
You are going from a different world into the sales game.
I had a friend and a wrestling coach make the same transition to sales and did very well so sure as shit you can do it.

Get into sales and there is this whole deal with being friendly and helpful. This is often way outside tech stuff.
If a given, should a take down be easy and light or hard?
Bob

Know your product and own your client.

You can be sales guy or problem solver.

A client may have a problem with a power system that can be addressed by your product.

Try to sell a VFD and it is difficult.

Listen to need and do the investigation to determine how to solve the problem and sell the solution to the problem.

This may include a VFD and support.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Truly the best advice you could get. If you can't answer the questions quickly and clearly I would question the value of your product and customer service. What kind of horse power ranges do they cover? How many machines can be hooked up at a time? I am going to be looking for a VFD before long.

Dale Carnegie books,
How to win friends and influence people
The Leader in You
Sell
Will build your skills, confidence and success.

Yes with learning the product A to Z

Likely 20 bucks or less each, but your own books so you can highlight and mark them up.

Don't be a bullshitter. Being fake and not knowing what you are talking about bug the crap out of me if it is someone I need knowledge from. If you don't know, or are not sure, admit that and let them know you will get the info to them.

VFD sales...??

I would think most companies that buy and use VFD's on a regular basis have engineers that spec out the VFD, then just make a phone call or couple of internet clicks to order.

In general, machine shops and smaller manufacturing firms don't need a VFD that often (if ever, as most machines in industry that use a VFD already have them installed).

I would think you would need a huge territory (2 or 3 states maybe) to actually make a living selling VFD's....and even then it's going to be tough.

Just giving you a perspective from the trenches....

Every door you walk into they all hate the sales guy, that is the big deal. Be prepared for that. It is a life of hurt and discouragement.
Salesmen are the slum of the earth to many and you have to accept that.
Very easy to see this on this board and the view towards sales people knocking on the door.
Of the many here if I came knocking I'm sure very many would not even have 60 seconds to talk to me.

Bob, I don't think that's entirely true.

There are a number salesmen that I have a good working relationship with, probably moreso than ones that I won't entertain.

Lots of people, myself included, have a very low tolerance for bullshit, and for some reason that I just can't fathom one of the apparently most sought after traits in a salesman is the ability to talk bullshit. The ones I get on well with are straight talkers, knowledgeable and honest.

If you do any of the following with any kind of frequency you will guarantee yourself a closed door here:

• Trash talk the competition.
• Make outrageous claims about the performance of your product.
• Act like my best friend right out of the gate.

On the other hand, do the following and you will always be warmly received here:

• Know your product, and know your competitors products (as best as you can), and know why yours is better, if it's better.
• Know the full range of your product, so that when I call you asking about something out of the ordinary, you're able to help me.
• Endorse a competitor's product when you know it's more suitable for my application than yours.

The last point in particular, I have two reps that come here that have done that on at least one occasion, and they gained a lot of respect from me by doing so.

Back