What's new
What's new

Imco end mills. Anyone running them or compared against them?

huleo

Hot Rolled
Currently have zero complaints with them. Running a 924 series in steel and tool life, finish, etc, are super. However, as with everything but my paycheck, the price just keeps creeping up.

A local vendor wants us to try Gorilla I think it was? I doubt I would make a switch over a couple bucks but lots of tools out there!

We are running a TOUGH operation. 1Xdiam deep, full slot in some spots, etc. I am not too excited to throw brand X in there and cost us some parts if they cannot handle it.

I know a bigger just loving MA Ford stuff. still have not tried them. Seems like once we finally get something dialed in, the job ends.

Oh, I wanted to dig into Aluminum cutters too. We have a couple jobs that we need to minimize burrs because they are too hard to clean up. Running Imco streakers, there is no burr we cannot remove with a fingernail. tried some others and though they chewed through the parts find, the burr was not acceptable! The streaker is an uncoated tool. I think we tested Lakeshore at one point and cannot remember how they stacked up.

We seem to need tools that produce perfect finish with less burrs, rather than the highest MRR most guys are chasing. Maybe they go hand in hand though.

I run mostly IMCO endmills and use them for everything. HSM roughing finishing, manuals. I have not tried many others, but I am happy with them, so I stick with them.

Alum endmills I use YG1. Good price and I thought they worked well compared to IMCO alum endmills.

I've heard bad things about Gorilla. Having great results with Helical in 17-4 H900 and Ti6Al4V.

We've had good luck with Gorilla Mills in 17-4 H1025 and 13-8 aged (I don't remember the temper, it may have been H1025 as well). Someone did tell me that they will buy their Carbide blanks from different vendors so it could lead to inconsistent results. I don't know if it is true though.

Destiny Tools for everything now then helical is close second.

Viper- Multipurpose Aluminum
Diamondback- Rougher Aluminum
Python- Steel
Raptor- Stainless/HI Temp

Use Rouge Tools from ebay for some cheap general purpose duties type cutters

IMCO is close to me but really not impressed with their cutters to be honest especially the price but it's 1 day or pickup locally same day

No complaints from me on IMCO. All our smaller endmills 1/4"-3/8" run circles around the OSG ones we had been using. Can't beat those streakers.

Currently have zero complaints with them. Running a 924 series in steel and tool life, finish, etc, are super. However, as with everything but my paycheck, the price just keeps creeping up.

A local vendor wants us to try Gorilla I think it was? I doubt I would make a switch over a couple bucks but lots of tools out there!

We are running a TOUGH operation. 1Xdiam deep, full slot in some spots, etc. I am not too excited to throw brand X in there and cost us some parts if they cannot handle it.

I know a bigger just loving MA Ford stuff. still have not tried them. Seems like once we finally get something dialed in, the job ends.

Oh, I wanted to dig into Aluminum cutters too. We have a couple jobs that we need to minimize burrs because they are too hard to clean up. Running Imco streakers, there is no burr we cannot remove with a fingernail. tried some others and though they chewed through the parts find, the burr was not acceptable! The streaker is an uncoated tool. I think we tested Lakeshore at one point and cannot remember how they stacked up.

We seem to need tools that produce perfect finish with less burrs, rather than the highest MRR most guys are chasing. Maybe they go hand in hand though.

Give us a call if you want to try Helical end mills for steel and aluminum. The number is 866.543.5422.

We recently ran a few tests in both Aluminum and Steel (you can check those out on our Youtube page here: Helical Solutions
- YouTube
), and have some tools that should work well for you in both materials.

I run SGS Z Carbs ( including series 7, basically long z carbs ) and Imco M904/M924 almost exclusively ( YG1 alupower on the rare aluminum I get ). I generally like the Z carbs better day in/day out but dont see one overall being better than the other. I definitely like the greater variety of flute lengths Imco offers. I do think the M924/M904 is tougher/stronger than the Z Carb. But I have not done a real head to head test.

I deal with mostly heat resistance nickel alloys. I only use Imco and M.A. Ford 7 fluters. We use Imco drills. Work just as good as the Walter/Titex but a 3rd of the price.

I had several orders for 1.25 x 14 x 44 titanium which had 5 pockets 1.2 deep or
so ..7 flute imco would almost rough all 5 out MA fords lasted thru 3 to 4 pockets.
.035 axial 34 IPM 3400 rpm.
All i buy now are Imco..I also started buying the streakers but have not tried those yet

I had several orders for 1.25 x 14 x 44 titanium which had 5 pockets 1.2 deep or
so ..7 flute imco would almost rough all 5 out MA fords lasted thru 3 to 4 pockets.
.035 axial 34 IPM 3400 rpm.
All i buy now are Imco..I also started buying the streakers but have not tried those yet

What was the limiting factor? Spindle load, loss of finish, breakage?

What was the limiting factor? Spindle load, loss of finish, breakage?

I ran them till they were trashed spindle load would creep up to close to 100%
about then start glowing ,,,so I call that the limiting factor:D

But i was removing about 30 lbs just in the roughing process with crappy coolant pressure so I really cant complain about the fords but the Imcos did hold up well.

I have no complains about the gorilla mills. I cut 4140,H13,S7 all day with them 400sfm in the 4140 and it’ll last forever price isn’t bad either

Back