What's new
What's new

Inco 718 Milling start point

claya

Cast Iron
Suggested start point on radial and Axial DOC profile milling using a high end 1/2" endmill (IMCO 924) for Inco 718 annealed?

More info: Part depth is 1.5". So an Axial doc of 1.5" using a 2" FL tool?

Your numbers are for profiling. What would you suggest for slotting?

For the 1.5 depth, Was concerned about deflection on a such long flute tool. Was going to use a 0.625FL or 1.0FL tool and do the slotting (using .125doc ) and profiling using a 0.5 axial doc.

Are the manufacturer SFM numbers for generic Inconel applicable for 718 annealed? Or are they a bit aggresive? We are starting at about 1/2 the recommended sfm. Is it possible to run the tools too slow for 718? I had a mentor machinist once say it is bad to run drills too slow, not sure if the same rule applys to endmills in Inconel, or endmills in general.

What should I listen for? What spindle load should I aim for?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Both depending on desired surface finish, sometimes I will slow the IPM down on the finish and spring pass to 25 or 30 if needed

I would HSM using an Imco IPC7 POW R PATH (7 fluter) If you have a rigid setup somewhere around 3500 at 55 IPM tool life would be 45-to 1hour.

Make that 1400 rpm at 43 IPM .035 used titanium numbers.

Last edited:
I would HSM using an Imco IPC7 POW R PATH (7 fluter) If you have a rigid setup somewhere around 3500 at 55 IPM tool life would be 45-to 1hour.

That's 458sfm. What kind of tool holder?

What radial and axial doc?

In my log book which in my shop some were, I have notes since the 1980's, how rough and finish high temperature allows,
some of the data in my head which I have forgotten a lot,
it takes rigid lathes with minimum 30 HP, manual machine will not cut it.
using ceramics for roughing the button inserts being the strongest diamond with .015 R being the weakest.
DOC .250 , SFM ~ is TBD, brain not working but high, It's a must for as rigid and heavy duty tool holders as possible.
the Inco 718 will cut like butter with the above setup, rough out leaving approximately .250 stock on all surfaces,
then finish after heat treat with standard carbide. with recommended SFM. Inconel 718 will work harden at the surface if
less than .015 DOC finish passes. it will taper and go out of round.
these are from my experience working back then, I am sure there are significant improvements, check with one of the big
tool suppliers sales engineers, they want you to succeed.

Just curious but what did you bid this job at?
I mean you must have had an idea of how to cut this stuff when you quoted the job.
Really high, based on using the generic 60sfm speeds&feeds. And a long enough lead time to accommodate the above.

The material showed up cut significantly oversize. Plus several other snafus from quote to PO. Every possible thing that can go wrong on this job already has.

So any tips that anyone has for actually running carbide MILLING tools in INCO 718 at 160+sfm (or 450sfm??) is the only advice that helps at this point.

I wouldn't trust a collet holder for this.
Make sure the tool is running true, I shoot for .0005 tir ...using maritool holders
Given that I only have TG-100 collet holders on a very rigid machine (and standard holders on a less rigid machine), what sfm profile milling and slotting would you suggest? I have to deliver this job in 2 weeks, using what I have.

What radial and axial doc?

Axial 1 1/2 flute length full depth I find IMCO gives a longer flute length than advertised so if your material is 1.50 use the 1.5 endmill.. Radial .035

I checked with an friend after I posted who has way more experience with Inconel.
He confirmed what I posted.. well really close,
also said about 4 hrs tool life running straight oil..

I would program the 43 ipm and start at 60% and bump it up from there.
let us know what you ended up with
Maintain a constant sfm contouring 7 fluters can be unforgiving.

Given that I only have TG-100 collet holders on a very rigid machine (and standard holders on a less rigid machine), what sfm profile milling and slotting would you suggest? I have to deliver this job in 2 weeks, using what I have.

Collet holder go conservative check for pullout occasionally...slotting yeah I would go with the 4 flute
See IMCO online catalog for speeds and feeds on this...profiling I find we run way over suggested but slotting just bites.

Collet holder go conservative check for pullout occasionally...slotting yeah I would go with the 4 flute
See IMCO online catalog for speeds and feeds on this...profiling I find we run way over suggested but slotting just bites.
We are running IMCO S&F. M924 4F. How much sfm way over are you running?

They don't make a 1.5FL, so we are grinding the shank.. PITA. Don't see any pullout.

Climb or conventional?

Really high, based on using the generic 60sfm speeds&feeds. And a long enough lead time to accommodate the above.

The material showed up cut significantly oversize. Plus several other snafus from quote to PO. Every possible thing that can go wrong on this job already has.

So any tips that anyone has for actually running carbide MILLING tools in INCO 718 at 160+sfm (or 450sfm??) is the only advice that helps at this point.

Well, I've not cut a great deal of this stuff ut here are my "rules for super alloys".

1) Duramill makes tools designed, coated and built to handle this material.
They aren't cheap but they are exceptional and the folks there are first rate. They are more than happy to offer recommendations.

That is also rule 2, rule 3 and rule D.

As for the rest, what else is new?
LOL

This guy is running at over 450sfm in Inco 718 with a generic IMCO endmill at 0.4" axial doc. With fantastic tool life. I would be thrilled with 1/3 that speed. He is pocketing using HSM.

I am slotting and profiling. I have yet to see anyone doing full width slotting at 160sfm+ however.

Obviously, one of his tricks is adaptive clearing, or whatever you want to call it etc. And It also appears to be a endmill chuck, so Tir is presumably very very low, which I gather now is THE most critical principle for any HSM. Tool clamping force is probably critical also.I did not know that before this week. I always thought that ER & TR collet holders were good for low Tir.

All I have are TG-100 holders for the Matsuura I prefer to run this on. And standard and ER32 holders on a smaller linear way machine (Mori-Jr).

There are a dozen other similar video examples from Meilin tool, Titan Gilroy, Kennemetal, Sandvik, others all using HP endmills doing HSM in Inco 718. If anyone can describe the pertinent details of how they are milling INCO 718 at 160sfm+, I would appreciate it. We do a fair amount of turning INCO, rough milling is a completely different animal which I have limited experience.

718 INCONEL.MOV - YouTube

Back