What's new
What's new

Inconel 625 on CNC Swiss

swissdodger

Plastic
Looking for suggestions as to Sandvik grade cutoff inserts and turning inserts for AMS5666 (Inconel 625)with feeds and speeds on a Tsugami B0325-II CNC Swiss. Having trouble with chipping of the insert grade 1105 with Sandvik reps suggested speed of 160sfm and feed of .002. cut off insert chips on the 5th part. Hopefully someone has had success.

How rigid is the work holding, and how far out from the nose is the bar being cut? With a tough/hard material like Inconel, if you get too much flexing at the cut interface, either due to stickout or lack of stiffness in the machine, you're going to damage tools as the material whacks into it.

With the bar sticking out the usual working distance, put a DTI on the bar end and apply some force by hand - how far does the bar deflect at what estimated load?

What diameter is the bar? I imagine you're using CSS? 160 sfm seems high to me. I'd start around 80-100.

Yeah, I would START under 100. And Rigidity, rigidity, Rigidity. For parting Inco of I would be below 75 for sure.

Diameter is a reasonable question, but if it's a Swiss CNC, it's probably under 1".

R

I mainly use 1125 and 2135 for parting everything, Plastic, Al to inconel. I'm still not sure which is better, sometimes I get good life out of one, sometimes its the other. Definitely won't last forever in 625 though. The feed sounds a bit high for the size you'd be cutting in a swiss, running oil or coolant?
I've tried 1105 for turning but have mostly returned to 1115 for that.

I haven't cut inconel but when cutting high-hardness biodur, I had horrible luck with Sandvik cutoff inserts. We use them almost exclusively on our M3/M4 machines, but for the biodur jobs I had to switch back to a Utilis cutoff that I then modified so it would last more than 30-35 pieces.

I did find that regardless of the turning insert, we had to dial down the rpm (1200-1700 depending on operation) and give a feed of .002-.004ipr.

1105 is a very hard grade. For parting Inconel you want something tougher. Make sure you use a sharp edge prep. with no land...and go slow.

Are you parting close to the sub-spindle?

I would be down around 45-50 sfm,
And cap your speed to about 1500
F .001-.002 don't forget your part off program too. Use high pressure helps also.

Back