What's new
What's new

Indexable drill hole bottom

316head

Aluminum
Most indexable drill I've tried leave a nasty bulge at the center of the bottom which is a non-idead start for the second drilling operation and thus requiring the use of a spot drill. Is there an indexable drill (U-drill) series that would leave a dent instead of a bulge so that I can leave the spot drilling out?

You don't say much about you operation as in the size you are trying to achieve
Iscar and other manufacturers do have a flat bottom drill head that does what you describe. Iscars go up to about 1-1/4 dia.
iscars designation for this is FCP 1260. this could also be made for you in a specific size under 1.280 dia. if the size you want is no there

Kind of.

All insert drills over about 3xD cut grooves on the face as a means to stay on centre while drilling. You can get some actual flat bottom insert drills like the K-Tool ones suggested above, but they are always very short.

You can get flat bottom replaceable head drills, like the Iscar also suggested above, but those are limited in diameter. They are not so well suited to lathe use compared to an insert drill.

The old Kennametal HTS system uses a drill pilot which is what you are looking for, but those are only available in larger diameters, and also are not great performers compared to modern drills...

Consider a replaceable tip drill like the Iscar Sumo Cham. We've had good luck with that particular drill at 8xD. The tips are expensive-ish, but robust, as long as you don't experience any interruptions, and they'll leave a spot for your next drill.

Thanks. Indexables are better at taking a beating in interrupted drilling (read manifold blocks) which is why I use them. Modular exchangeable tip drills and solid carbide for everything else. Unless it's 20xD+ in which case it's back to basics (parabolic HSS).

It would be far too easy to find a good replacement for those 880's that wouldn't leave a nasty dimple and retain the same speeds and feeds in every program.

Most indexable drill I've tried leave a nasty bulge at the center of the bottom which is a non-idead start for the second drilling operation and thus requiring the use of a spot drill. Is there an indexable drill (U-drill) series that would leave a dent instead of a bulge so that I can leave the spot drilling out?

I use a endmill to get it flat.

Consider a replaceable tip drill like the Iscar Sumo Cham. We've had good luck with that particular drill at 8xD. The tips are expensive-ish, but robust, as long as you don't experience any interruptions, and they'll leave a spot for your next drill.

People all have their preference but the Iscar SumoCham and the Ingersoll Gold Twist (basically the same) have been really really effective for me. No pecking, 8xD no issues. The there are Quad Twist drills (Iscar?) that will leave a flat bottom, but also you can get that style with a center point that functions like a spot on the hole bottom

Back