What's new
What's new

Indicating angled faces with a Haimer

vmipacman

Cast Iron
Been doing this a while but wanted to verify logic.

I should rotate the spindle so the haimer dial face is at right angles with the face being measured so as not to induce both an X-Y component. There is little enough friction between the haimer tip and face that I can jog either x or y of the machine into the face.
That sound right?
Thank

No, you introduce runout error from tool holding setup. Indicate angled surfaces as a trig function with spindle in same orientation. The probe tips should be concentric spheres if not replace with a fresh one.

Note: do not measure flat to angle faces as this introduces error.

I’m using the haimer like a reneshaw. Probing points on angled faces. But where’s the reneshaw is ok to approach faces on a 45 deg angle, I don’t think the haimer lines non orthogonal indicating.

I noticed real quick that my Haimer does not read out in true thousandths.
It repeats fine, but the graduations are arbitrary.
At least on X and Y. I haven't checked accuracy so far as Z.
I am usually looking for a true edge, or the center of something when I use it.
I do use it for comparative Z measurments, but I am going to zero on the Haimer, and taking my readings off the control.
I expect if you worked to zero off the control like that, you'd be ok.

I’m using the haimer like a reneshaw. Probing points on angled faces. But where’s the reneshaw is ok to approach faces on a 45 deg angle, I don’t think the haimer lines non orthogonal indicating.

I get it, but it should read consistant. Between the DRO x/y displacement across the two points they should give you a solid trig function.

Just be sure to hit the same zero on the same face with the same spindle orientation.

The haimer does not have any means to discriminate between X-Y movement, the stylus is mounted on a spherical pivot, so all radial movement is linearised purely by the direction of travel.

There is also no way to lock out the axial movement of the stylus so if displacing the stylus against a sloped surface you can never have 100% certainty that you are not inducing some axial movement of the stylus and getting a false reading.

Using a Haimer for this is risky, and you should have some other means to verify your results.

I use gage pin against the angled surface and the fixture base or vise. I use the Haimer probe to pick up the edge and top of the pin (highest reading). Works great to locate parts tilted on a sine vise. I use a drawing of the setup with the pin and the dimensions to the pin tangent points done in CAD to set my coordinate offsets.

Back