What's new
What's new

Ingersoll Cutting Tools tech support now on Practical Machinist

vr6

Aluminum
Hello everyone, (if admins so happen to delete for any fair reason, i absolutely understand).

In the last year or so, ICTC has released a brand new website that is very mobile friendly and with that, made searching for current and sometimes outdated tooling offered from Ingersoll super easy using the AKITA search right from any page on the ICTC website.

I'd like today to be a change in the way that myself here at Ingersoll can help out with any tech questions related to any and all Ingersoll Cutting Tools information.

At my fingers tips, i can locate that outdated cutter body that you are not sure what insert or screw you need. Can also help with application questions, what size cutter to use, or what speeds and feeds to start with also.

Questions can be for any products. Milling, Turning, Hole Making and even Boring too.

please don't hesitate to submit a reply here or a personal message.

So go online today and check out the latest tooling available from Ingersoll Cutting Tools.

Ingersoll Cutting Tools - Metal Cutting Experts

I will be monitoring this page everyday from 8am to 5pm moday thru friday(central time) and any extra time from home as well. Will do my best to answer questions within 24hrs during the weekday and when i have time on the weekends from home, Thanks...

Last edited:
I actually like this initiative. A thread for official support by a tool making company is nice. Others should do it too (maybe they do, don't frequent all the forum.) Maybe it'd be better suited for a different part of the forum, tho?

I'll throw you a question then.

I have this tool: Walzenstirnfräser 22J3R032035W6R00

wsf.jpg

What would your recommendation be for deep slicing/trochoidal feeds, speeds, Ae and paths in stainless and construction steel with this one? Also would a 3-insert-per-row one be better?

I actually like this initiative. A thread for official support by a tool making company is nice. Others should do it too (maybe they do, don't frequent all the forum.) Maybe it'd be better suited for a different part of the forum, tho?

I'll throw you a question then.

I have this tool: Walzenstirnfräser 22J3R032035W6R00

View attachment 266448

What would your recommendation be for deep slicing/trochoidal feeds, speeds, Ae and paths in stainless and construction steel with this one? Also would a 3-insert-per-row one be better?

Thanks for your question. right out the gate i get a metric question and its from Ingersoll Germany product line but i have a cross version from out USA catalog.

that cutter is from our hi-pos+ line btw. 32mm dia 2eff with a total of 6 cutting stations.

max doc of cut is 35.3mm

bare with me since i don't have the metric version for speeds and feeds.
also, these recommendations are just that recommendations. all dependent on your setup, machine hp/torque,and rigidity of the machine.

I'll answer for the stainless but the construction steel i don't know what you mean for that.

stainless sfm: 200-900
stainless feed per insert is .004-.010
use IN2530 or IN2030 for grade, IN2530 is our latest offering from Ingersoll

that size cutter is not available in a 3 effective.

I'll answer for the stainless but the construction steel i don't know what you mean for that.

I'd guess "construction steels" are those materials with a higher than A36 tensile made for steel beams and the like, or their European equivalents. So if you have parameters for steels of (for example) 50Ksi tensile, 75Ksi, 100ksi, etc. Tichy should be able to convert to metric units useful to him.

Sorry for bad English trying to clarify. (Swede.)

By "Construction steels" I mean non-stainless steel SS 1312 (international standard S235JRG2) and 2172 (S355J2G3.) "Dirty shit iron." Swedish floor slang is "bonnjärn" (quite literally "Redneck Iron.")

I'm specifically interested in what areal depth of cut would be recommended at full depth of cut to slice/spiral a feature. These tools normally require a lot of power and sound like Dante's Inferno. :)

To further clarify I can certainly RTFM on the tool, but the speeds and feeds recommedations I can find are rather spartan.

I'd guess "construction steels" are those materials with a higher than A36 tensile made for steel beams and the like, or their European equivalents. So if you have parameters for steels of (for example) 50Ksi tensile, 75Ksi, 100ksi, etc. Tichy should be able to convert to metric units useful to him.

operating guidelines from website for the HI-POS+ family of tools

10-3-2019 10-36-40 AM.jpg

operating guidelines from website for the HI-POS+ family of tools

View attachment 266450
Again that's a bit spartan. Maybe I don't understand. How would I find proper RPM and F for a 1mm Ae with this tool and that chart, and would that be a good idea? What would be better?

(PS I know this question isn't the most common one. Most people do not use that type of mill that way. However I have data from Sandvik and SECO that this is a viable option, and I've also used Iscar insert end mills to slice (encouraged by that data.) Worked fine but not a whole lot of machine time with it. DS)

And I was wrong, from Tichy's response it looks like he wanted parameters for an A36 equivalent.

Tichy, tell us the machine and toolholding you're using, a cutter like that has to be in a stiff, heavy machine to work properly if you're trying full depth and engagement cuts.

If'n your gonna stick around, you'd better show the price for both the cutter your going to spam, as well as the replacement insert cost's.

Again that's a bit spartan. Maybe I don't understand. How would I find proper RPM and F for a 1mm Ae with this tool and that chart, and would that be a good idea? What would be better?

rpm 1222
fd 434.7mm/min

feedrate per tooth is .178mm/tooth

your radial start on the low end of 25% of cuter and monitor spindle load meter. i attached more info for this tool too

10-3-2019 10-46-25 AM.jpg

might be best to download a speeds and feed calculator online too, there are many great options out there

And I was wrong, from Tichy's response it looks like he wanted parameters for an A36 equivalent.

Tichy, tell us the machine and toolholding you're using, a cutter like that has to be in a stiff, heavy machine to work properly if you're trying full depth and engagement cuts.
50 taper weldon holder (BT50). Machine is Doosan Mynx 750/50 3-axis mill 15Kw 305Nm.

The follow-up question though is if this tool can be used in weaker machines with smaller Ae cuts requiring less power.

rpm 1222
fd 434.7mm/min

feedrate per tooth is .178mm/tooth

your radial start on the low end of 25% of cuter and monitor spindle load meter. i attached more info for this tool too

View attachment 266454

might be best to download a speeds and feed calculator online too, there are many great options out there
Thanks for that data page, haven't seen that before, but that seems to be for ramping. I was hoping for recommendations specifically for slicing at a constant Z with a low areal depth of cut either by straight line or trochoidal.

Thanks for that data page, haven't seen that before, but that seems to be for ramping. I was hoping for recommendations specifically for slicing at a constant Z with a low areal depth of cut either by straight line or trochoidal.

just providing as much info as i can, data show ramping and helical cutting too.

we typically use these cutters for slabbing and slotting using full width for slotting applications.

just providing as much info as i can, data show ramping and helical cutting too.

we typically use these cutters for slabbing and slotting using full width for slotting applications.
I know, that's what everyone uses them for.

My question concerned this method:

Slicing methods

If'n your gonna stick around, you'd better show the price for both the cutter your going to spam, as well as the replacement insert cost's.

That would be pointless. Every cutting tool manufacturer sells mostly through distribution, who sets the price. They will do some direct business to multi-million dollar accounts, but you can bet your rear end that the price is negotiated so far from "list price" that it's pointless to compare selling price to list price.

Getting a "list price" over the forum is pointless. The discount structure across products (Turning inserts vs. milling inserts. vs solid carbide drills vs. solid carbide endmills vs. milling cutter bodies vs. turning holders vs. spare parts, etc...) is different across every product category, and different for every manufacturer.

IF you really want a price, call & get a quote...

As someone who's been the customer, the manufacturer's rep, and the distributors rep, I don't like it either, but it is the way it is...

To the point about pricing, jashley73 is on target. A time long ago that there was "fair trade pricing", where the selling price was set by the manufacturer and no one that wanted to sell the product could sell it for less. I don't believe there are any manufacturers around that still do that. So the only way to avoid trouble is to state the "list" price.

Tom

I don't believe there are any manufacturers around that still do that. So the only way to avoid trouble is to state the "list" price.

Tom

Maybe not in manufacturing... But Lego, Nerf, Dyson, Serta, and probably several others do this, still. Look at your next "20% off anything store wide" coupon from Target or Home Goods or whatever, at the bottom will be a disclaimer stating discount is not valid on any of those brands that the store sells.

That would be pointless. Every cutting tool manufacturer sells mostly through distribution, who sets the price. They will do some direct business to multi-million dollar accounts, but you can bet your rear end that the price is negotiated so far from "list price" that it's pointless to compare selling price to list price.

Getting a "list price" over the forum is pointless. The discount structure across products (Turning inserts vs. milling inserts. vs solid carbide drills vs. solid carbide endmills vs. milling cutter bodies vs. turning holders vs. spare parts, etc...) is different across every product category, and different for every manufacturer.

IF you really want a price, call & get a quote...

As someone who's been the customer, the manufacturer's rep, and the distributors rep, I don't like it either, but it is the way it is...
Member "exkenna" seems to recommend the correct tool, irregardless of brand.
"exkenna" post's prices too.

Stop defending an obvious spammer.

Back