What's new
What's new

Insane turret- Fanuc OT- Alarm 1009

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
1992 Supermax TC-2 turning center with Fanuc OT, turret works perfectly but station no. 5 triggers alarm 1009 "tool no. error alarm" everytime. Moves fine in manual mode, input T5 and it goes to T5, then give error 1009. But it's not stuck or anything...input T6 or whatever and it goes to T6 and the error resets itself.

But in auto mode, program comes to halt when indexing to station 5. All others (8 total) work fine always, but no. 5 errors every time.

1. Any idea how this particular turret knows what tool number it is on ?

2. Could a parameter be corrupted and if so any idea which parameter number to look for ?

I don`t know how this particular turret knows where it is,but some use an absolute encoder with BCD output.A clue to that is whether or not you have to reference the turret at start up.If it was an absolute encoder it could be giving the wrong output at that station.
Machines we have set up like that do not look for the encoder output when indexing manually.

D.

On a 92 Supermax only running an OT. I’m thinking it won’t be that smart to be running a servo index. Hence the parameter corruption is probably a long shot.

I’m guessing that it will run prox’s or a rotary position switch. In the tail end of the turret. Right hand side.

If you could try a little looping program like T04; T08: M99, so it loops and runs the turret continuos. My guess is that it will have simple 24V position inputs to the control. You will see these as you observe the diagnostic page. Physical inputs are normally on the first page. If its rotating, you will see the inputs blinking. They would normally be in order. So you will see them stage up in order. What ever that input is, 5 will be missing, as the turret cruises past.

Error’s above 1000 are normally reserved for the M.T.B. 1009. Wild guess, its going overtime, or not seeing that input for turret position 5.

When you say it faults at position 5. What is it doing? Just overshooting the station and keep’s going until it faults?

A pic here, showing the right hand end internals and the motor would be real handy.

Regards Phil.

Usually the O controls keep track of the turret in diag. look around D400-D500 there will be a couple of par with 8 the there will be a par after that and the number will be the same as the current sta.(sometimes only 1 par) if you index turret manually you will see it change. go to #5 if the # matches the sta. then maybe a clamp problem with that sta. if # does match then probably the switch or a chip on the cam on end of shaft. You can take a shim and activate ea.switch to check them again you can find individual inputs at beginning of diag.

Adam

When you say it faults at position 5. What is it doing? Just overshooting the station and keep’s going until it faults?
I thought I was pretty clear on that. It does not overshoot 5, it functions perfectly from a mechanical standpoint. So basically the problem is the control doesn't think it works perfectly on tool 5, even though it does in reality.

Does it actually clamp at T5, or does it 'hover' at the position? Any kind of tool interference possible at one position?

This may have no relevance, but some turrets are not equal angles between all stations. I found this out on my American Tool slant bed. However, the turret controller card (or PLC) would most likely have been correctly programmed for this at one time, so I do not understand how that could change on a whim.

I have a chumm that had a brand new robot moving further than it was s'posed to or something like that recently. Turned outt hat the little slotted light disk that it uses as [what seems to be an old skewl approach] an encoder of sorts - had a small pc of fuzz plugging up a slot - and the eye didn't count that one...

... could you have a pc of chit plugging up a similar feature? Or maybe grease packed up and blocking a prox?

Hope this heps!
Ox

I don't think Fanuc will be any help as it is probabally in the realm of the OEM design.
Although you did not mention how the turret is indexed, air, Hyd, etc. The fact that it is stopping on T5 seems to point to the fact it is seeing the T5 position, it is the next thing that is supposed to happen, that obviously is not, you have to find out what that is, A clamp maybe?
The turret routine and the alarm for the 1000's is written in the ladder, so one way would be to look at the part of the ladder that triggers this alarm and see what is different from the T5 and all the rest.
For example, when this routine is triggered by a Tool change, all that maybe needed to trigger the alarm is a timer contact, and with the ones that work, the timer never gets tripped, but on the T5 it could be, the next step is to see what allows the timer to time out.
M.

I had a similar problem with our Mazak QT-10. On that machine when the turret clamps,it pushes a plunger which pivots a little plate that moves back and forth in front of two prox. switches.Turns out the one switch was adjusted so to the lower limit of adjustment, a small chip got in behind the plunger and would hold the little plate back and the switch would'nt see it. So it sounds something like that or other mechanical gremlin.

I called YCI Supermax. They were amazinly helpful and we solved the problem pretty quickly. As it turns out, somehow the turret parameters got scrambled such that T 5 was actually T 1. Previous owner had rotated the turret number nameplate accordingly. So, reprogrammed the parameter so that T 1 really was T 1, rotated the nameplate to where it should have been and problem solved !

As an aside, I've deal with alot of CNC controls incl Mazak, Fanuc, Siemens, Fadal, calling the OEM's and the control folks over the years, and YCI Supermax was the most "on the ball" and helpful of all of them !

(The most Un helpful was Makino, Hitachi (EDM division, not turning centers), and Sodick !)

YCI rocks !

1992 Supermax TC-2 turning center with Fanuc OT, turret works perfectly but station no. 5 triggers alarm 1009 "tool no. error alarm" everytime. Moves fine in manual mode, input T5 and it goes to T5, then give error 1009. But it's not stuck or anything...input T6 or whatever and it goes to T6 and the error resets itself.

But in auto mode, program comes to halt when indexing to station 5. All others (8 total) work fine always, but no. 5 errors every time.

1. Any idea how this particular turret knows what tool number it is on ?

2. Could a parameter be corrupted and if so any idea which parameter number to look for ?
Hi!

Fellow YCM TC 15 user here. 15 years in the future. Thanks for your information this has been really helpful.

I had the same error, and as it turns out, basically in my case the turret had indexed as usual but alarmed out with 1009 error.

I immediately identified the turret had indexed but not seated fully to the base. Thus leaving the prox or contact switch disengaged. The turret had taken a very small amount of chips and debris that was resting on the top side and jammed it up causing a mechanical failure.

By setting the machine to Jog and indexing the turret manually while blowing out the debris, I was able to free it up.

Thankfully wasn’t as complicated as your error. That is a wacky one. But wanted to share my experience this fine morning.

-Ian

Attachments

• C7A0BBFB-1D17-45DF-A55B-D0A7F6770FB4.jpeg
    C7A0BBFB-1D17-45DF-A55B-D0A7F6770FB4.jpeg
    641.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 76F3443F-FA4E-4772-9F64-1B9B6BAFF947.jpeg
    76F3443F-FA4E-4772-9F64-1B9B6BAFF947.jpeg
    537.1 KB · Views: 10
Thankfully wasn’t as complicated as your error. That is a wacky one. But wanted to share my experience this fine morning.

-Ian
Yeah, been so long ago I forgot about that one... wacky indeed. Having said that since then I had a few waaaay more wacky CNC issues on Deckel NC mills... like the wrong Eprom was installed by mysterious previous owner and if not for FPS in Germany (feeling sorry for me :fight: ) creating a new one, the machine would have been a statue (until it hit the scrap yard)... I could write a book on wacky CNC problems Ive had over two decades.

Last edited:
Yeah, been so long ago I forgot about that one... wacky indeed. Having said that since then I had a few waaaay more wacky CNC issues on Deckel NC mills... like the wrong Eprom was installed by mysterious previous owner and if not for FPS in Germany creating a new one for me the machine would have been a statue (until it hit the scrap yard)... I could write a book on wacky CNC problems Ive had over two decades.
There is always mysteries to be unearthed with used equipment. Every drip and drop, ding and dent has a story 😆

Back