What's new
What's new

Insert a Helicoil with a Vertical Mill

Ebb Tubbs

Plastic
Hello Everyone,

I am looking to be able to insert a Heli-coil with my CNC machine. I have seen applications where a 6-axis robot has a tool attached to the end effector. It reaches over picks up an insert then moves to the parts and screws it in. I thought for sure that someone would have come up with a configuration to do this with a mill. I have not been able to find any existing solutions :nopity:. Anyone have any experience with this?

Mill your STI threads to keep a consistent statt then run the insert in on a rigid tap cycle?

Timing the 2 threads seems like a challenge, but I bet it could be done on something with a servo spindle like a Brother. Not sure how you would reload your application tool.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Kinda going off on a tangent, but is there a big strength difference between a formed thread and a Helicoil?
We do mostly thread forming here and I have seen Gr. 8 bolts break off before the threads failed.

I once used a Perf-A-Torq Torque Limiter with a 3/8 hex socket mounted on a tap-32 tension / compression adaptor to tighten the bolts on Mighty-bite clamps, you might be able to adapt it for your use.

Perf-A-Torq™ Limiters
tap.jpgtap.jpg

I'd be interested in seeing one of those helicoil machines in action. Anybody have any videos?

Kinda going off on a tangent, but is there a big strength difference between a formed thread and a Helicoil?
We do mostly thread forming here and I have seen Gr. 8 bolts break off before the threads failed.

Strength wise, its a bigger diameter. A 10-32 STI is almost a quarter inch thread, (if I had a dollar for
every time a 10-32STI ended up in the 1/4-28 drawer I'd be rich). So your pullout strength goes up.. Very
handy in aluminum or weaker materials. Also in aluminum, your threads aren't going to wear if you are
assembling and re-assembling a lot.

I've got a pneumatic helicoil installer I could be talked out of. It's basically a reversable air motor with helicoil tooling on the end. I believe you can get smaller helicoils in strips for higher production.

Often in Aerospace, it's irrelevant. The prints call out STI and installation. Some call for Keen-serts.

R

I'd be interested in seeing one of those helicoil machines in action. Anybody have any videos?

It's just a pneumatic motor on a swingarm. It has a clutch, and a mandrel system that automatically reverses the motor at the end of the cycle. Helicoils are on a roll that is fed manually.
Hold down the lever, the mandrel feeds thru the helicoil on the roll, essentially removing it from the strip, screws it into the hole and reverses to back out of the hole, all in 1 press of the trigger.
It's pretty slick.

It's just a pneumatic motor on a swingarm. It has a clutch, and a mandrel system that automatically reverses the motor at the end of the cycle. Helicoils are on a roll that is fed manually.
Hold down the lever, the mandrel feeds thru the helicoil on the roll, essentially removing it from the strip, screws it into the hole and reverses to back out of the hole, all in 1 press of the trigger.
It's pretty slick.

Are they tangless helicoils? And how would it deal with self locking helicoils, which are
always a pain to install?

Often in Aerospace, it's irrelevant. The prints call out STI and installation. Some call for Keen-serts.

R

Watch out for them Keen-serts! be sure to read the specs carefully or end up with the wrong threads...i had a customer reject me for this..turns out he couldnt read the spec correctly :eek: and my parts were actually good, to his chigrin

Back