What's new
What's new

Installing a replacement probe head on my Brother Speedio S700x1

Houndogforever

Hot Rolled
I got the head in there, centered and dialed in the ruby within .0001 TIR.
Ran the calibration XY and it seems good there.

How the hell do I set the Z?

What is z zero on the machine? Top of table?
I see there is a z calibrate program, but I am to set it .500" from zero point. Which I don't know where that is.

Little help?

Thanks
Jon

I think it depends on how the install/apps guys set it up. If you look through the calibration program you should see the macro variables it is using and be able to determine if they used a 1-2-3 block, the vise bed, etc.

Do you have a sub plate on your machine? I usually use a pair of 123 blocks. Set them on the table say 6" high. Set Z of G59 to 6.0000". If you have a subplate, add the thickness to the block height #. Set tool length of probe with znano or metrol. Bring the probe ball about .25 to .5" above the blocks and run Z calibrate program. To test, 0 out the Z of G59 and do a single touch Z measure on the 6" blocks. The work offset should be 6.0000" within a tenth.

I got the head in there, centered and dialed in the ruby within .0001 TIR.
Ran the calibration XY and it seems good there.

How the hell do I set the Z?

What is z zero on the machine? Top of table?
I see there is a z calibrate program, but I am to set it .500" from zero point. Which I don't know where that is.

Little help?

Thanks
Jon

It sounds like you’re running the Blum/Yamazen probing cycles if you have a Z Calibrate program. If you’re running Renishaw, touching off the probe is all that is needed.

Make sure you run the XY Calibration cycle a few times. First run usually measures small, second one usually a few tenths big and they get closer after that. May take four or five cycles to get it to match your ring gage size. Check the Macros page and look under the 100’s, you’ll see them populate. Going off memory right now, I think it’s #106, you’ll see it if it’s not, the ring size will populate. Run it until it matches your ring gage diameter.

Make sure you touch off your probe on your tool setter before calibration.

Z0 is the face of the table. So Machine Absolute Z would be the spindle gage line touching the table.

Program 702 (usually) will be the Z Calibrate program. There is a work offset at the top, usually G59, but check before starting. Whatever gage block stack or 1-2-3 stack amount to, including anything they’re on top of like a sub plate, etc, as Frank mentioned, needs to be added together. This total stack height needs to be populated in the work offset that’s in your Z Calibration programs Z value. So if G59 is in there, stick the stack up value in G59 Z.

The numbers within all of the probing cycles are relative moves, so you’ll see a Z-.25 or Z-.5, whatever it is, position the tip of the probe within that value to the top of the gage block stack and cycle start it. I’ll usually run XY and Z calibrations slow once to make sure everything functions, but make sure you run them at 100% feedrate after that to get accurate readings/calibration.

After the Z calibration cycle runs, run a Single Touch Z (usually program 707) to another work offset on the same gage block stack then compare the two Z values. It’s usually dead on after the first 100% feedrate cycle.

Once the calibration cycle is complete you can clear out the work offset Z values used for calibration and the one you set with Single Touch Z.

Kinda off topic but is this the process for adding a work probe without anything extra from Yamazen or do the probing macros need to be purchased?

TC-S2DN-O arriving in the near future and need to add a work probe.

Kinda off topic but is this the process for adding a work probe without anything extra from Yamazen or do the probing macros need to be purchased?

TC-S2DN-O arriving in the near future and need to add a work probe.

If you’re getting the probe from Yamazen they’ll install the cycles during install/calibration. I don’t think they’ve ever charged for these. Most of us would be happy to share anyways. Do you plan on using the Renishaw cycles or Blum ones?

Clarence Wagner in the Yamazen AZ office handles accessories and tooling for Colorado. He can quote you Renishaw and/or Blum. I would recommend having Yamazen do the install and they can do some training with you on your new machine at the same time.

Clarence Wagner in the Yamazen AZ office handles accessories and tooling for Colorado. He can quote you Renishaw and/or Blum. I would recommend having Yamazen do the install and they can do some training with you on your new machine at the same time.
Good deal. I'll give him a call in January. Thanks!

Back