What's new
What's new

Interesting large turning center video... 3 spindles ?

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
Not until later in the vid do I see what the other two spindles are about...robot tool changer is interesting also.

YouTube

I'm guessing that there are other apps that make the twin live's more efficient than this example.
Didn't show any example of cross-werking live toys tho.

Doo I want a building to put my new machine in, or a chuck to put on it?

-------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I really think a "Motch & Merryweather" would have sufficed, and not need
a special lifter for the part (M&M is a vertical spindle).

tnx for posting anyway.

I was wondering about that door.

It looks like just a std door, and heavy doors can really tax you after much time.
It looks like a super application for a "Zero G" valve hooked to the handle!

-------------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

For shure! Biggest indexing chuck I've ever seen by a long way. That was some coin.
Cleveland and I think Lees-Bradner built eight-spindle hobbers. But what they did was, they put eight individual machines on a huge merry-go-round with one operator station. That's kinda like putting eight horizontals on a carrousel, instead of adding a pallet changer :)

That's the biggest silliest indexer I have seen ....

It looks like a lot of moving parts. Not enough to justify the maintenance.

I'm sure a lot of it is glitz and glam, especially the robot arm. Ox makes a good question about doing side work. Also didn't see if the Tool stations move up and down, guessing not. Do they need to be doing the exact same operation? Drilling, Tapping? Or can they do independent stuff simultaneously?

I've never seen a power Chuck like that before$$$$$$$.

R

That was a big indexing chuck for sure.

I think the robot as a tool-changer is a great idea. Tool-changers are one of the most complicated parts of a machine, and one of the biggest reasons for down time. (We run 11 HMC's 24 hours a day. We see a lot of tool-changer related down-time.)

I have wondered why more machine builders don't use robots for their tool-changers, especially big Planer-mills with & boring mills auto-indexing angle/5-axis heads... It would have to be simpler & dare I say cheaper to just use a robot, vs. building a dedicated hydro/servo/mechanical tool-changer for every different machine model...r

I can just imagine the issues with re-setting the robot in event of down control, bad batts, etc....

A changer with proxes and cyls has GOT to be multitudes easier to recoup.

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Back