Intermediate 5 axis Help
Close
Login to Your Account
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    653
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    472
    Likes (Received)
    294

    Default Intermediate 5 axis Help

    I'm lucky enough to be in a position where I have a sweet new trunion style 5AX to play with. I have some experience in 3+2, and for the most part the lessons learned there have applied. I was quite expectantly met by a 'known unknown' last week when I decided to put a chamfer on a chamfer. I can do the math, (or rather make the machine do the math) to keep track of the position of such a feature, but I can't for the life of me find what angles I need to tilt to. When BOTH rotary axes are not parallel/perpendicular XYZ (non-orthogonal?), I am beyond my current abilities to do the maths needed to derive the angels I must input. I have not yet figured out how to get a cam system to tell me what I need either. I've tried online calculators that have not produced correct results. I've spent time learning about rotational matrices, but thats a system of math I'm not familiar with, and even my counterpart who can do calculus hasn't yet got that ironed out. How do you guys do the math to pop the hole in this simple model?

    non-ortho.jpg

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Posts
    699
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    103
    Likes (Received)
    363

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iMillJoe View Post
    I'm lucky enough to be in a position where I have a sweet new trunion style 5AX to play with. I have some experience in 3+2, and for the most part the lessons learned there have applied. I was quite expectantly met by a 'known unknown' last week when I decided to put a chamfer on a chamfer. I can do the math, (or rather make the machine do the math) to keep track of the position of such a feature, but I can't for the life of me find what angles I need to tilt to. When BOTH rotary axes are not parallel/perpendicular XYZ (non-orthogonal?), I am beyond my current abilities to do the maths needed to derive the angels I must input. I have not yet figured out how to get a cam system to tell me what I need either. I've tried online calculators that have not produced correct results. I've spent time learning about rotational matrices, but thats a system of math I'm not familiar with, and even my counterpart who can do calculus hasn't yet got that ironed out. How do you guys do the math to pop the hole in this simple model?

    non-ortho.jpg
    We don't do the math. Let the cam system handle that.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    653
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    472
    Likes (Received)
    294

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thesidetalker View Post
    We don't do the math. Let the cam system handle that.

    How? Using Mastercam, I can create a plane on that double chamfer and do some programing on it. Mastercam will give me the XYZ position of the origin of that plane but I can't figure out how to get it to tell me at what angles A and C should be. The machine can do the math for the rotation about 3D space, a few different ways, but I'm struggling on what exactly that rotation is, once I've got both tables tilted. I don't have a post for this machine yet either...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    eugene,or
    Posts
    833
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    81
    Likes (Received)
    345

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iMillJoe View Post
    I don't have a post for this machine yet either...
    That is the problem. Fix that first. Then :

    1. Create a plane on that surface
    2. Set it as your WCS and Toolplane
    3. Create the toolpaths
    4. Post the code.

    I suppose, if necessary, use the generic 5 axis post included with Mastercam and modify the code it produces.

    T

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Posts
    4,415
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    805
    Likes (Received)
    2374

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iMillJoe View Post
    .......How do you guys do the math to pop the hole in this simple model?

    non-ortho.jpg
    Google Images for "compound angle trigonometry". Peruse the results and see which one makes sense to you.

  6. Likes iMillJoe liked this post
  7. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Northeast Ma.
    Posts
    163
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    11
    Likes (Received)
    42

    Default

    You just have to trig out where the hole is. Those features must be dimensioned on the drawing.

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Savannah, Georgia, USA
    Posts
    1,649
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2624
    Likes (Received)
    628

    Default

    What machine do you have? Abc? Send me the model and i can give you numbers.

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Southeastern US
    Posts
    6,401
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    845
    Likes (Received)
    2803

    Default

    In that particular situation, it appears that you are 45 degrees from a face, so rotary axis (C?) is going to be 45 - assuming you have the face parallel with an axis. What is the angle of the face to the base of the model? (should be easy to get that in a cad system off the model) That will be the A (or B) angle. No different than machining it 3+2.


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •