What's new
What's new

"Internal Flush" Threads

Ox

Diamond
I was just told second hand that you need to be "certified" to cut these.

Say what?

I understand cert on pouring raw material, welding, heat treating maybe. They are all somewhat intangables. But on cutting metal? :eek: This is easilly guaged at eny time. ??? If a monkey (or - say - even a lowly dumb farmer?) made it and it guages OK - does that not qualify?

Enyone in-the-know on this subject?

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Oh yeah - it gits better...

I forgot - he said something aboot a "Class 7" cert.

I told him that I need to fetch my CDL one of these days enyhow - I could just opt up for the Class 7 while I'm there. ;)

I also told him that it must be a "Boys Club" of sorts? LOL! :rolleyes5:

Shirley sounds funky to me... :skep:

------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

We've had to pass on several jobs in the last year because of proprietary threads that we're not licensed to cut. One in particular that I can't remember the name of right now but is almost 100% identical to standard API profile, only with closer tolerances. There's only one shop in this country that's licensed to cut that thread.

Gregor

Ox, I'm sure you can have a Chinaman certify you...they'll certify anything:nutter:.

It may be just the case of knowing how to use the gages properly and document that you know how. Just 'cause you have the gages in the toolchest, doesn't mean you know how to use them.:D You may only need to self-certify - read the directions from your gage maker, demonstrate to your favorite cow that you can use them, and document that you can you them with proper results.

Maybe he's talking about thru spindle coolant when cutting the threads - "internal flush"...I can do it on the Hardinge...it has TSC!

Steve

Yes - these appear very similar to API.

LOL Steve! Not through the tool or spindle in our thinking - but it is through the tool purge - the part being a tool eh? ;)

-------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Spec 7 Internal Flush is an API tool joint thread. We ran tool joints 20 years ago. I remember the internal flush. At that time I was running an inertial welder joining the tool joints to pipe. Friction welding. The good ol days!

Just a copy of the spec will cost you $$ then the gages more $$. You can get by without certification IF the joint will not carry the API monogram. At least I believe that to be true.

Watch your a$$ on this one. You could be liable if there was a failure.

The basic dimensions look like they could be right. I will have to see if I still have a copy of Spec 7 on hand. We dropped our license a few years ago.
The real cost comes in when you have to purchase a license to monogram the product. Knockoffs exist. Just don't represent it as API.

You don't have to be API licensed to cut an IF connection, but what major service company will use a non API IF connection? These days rig down time and fishing crews are expensive for a screw up. We cut IF connections for years without a license and everyone knew we did not have a license. And they used it at your own risk. That is what they wanted. We had harden and ground gages and had good prints. Then the "Inspectors" (Shell, Chevron etc)got involved and that was the end of that. You can buy the inserts from almost any manufacturer that has "API" threading inserts. Toolflo, Vardex, Sandvik etc etc etc.

Back